Burner will burn everything but DVD Images (Pioneer DVR-115D / DVR-1910)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-115D / DVR-1910. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,

I have a Pioneer DVR-115D inside of a SYBA SD-U2PLA-525 External Enclosure, NEC Chipset, connected by USB.

It burns dual-layer back-ups for my Xbox 360 flawlessly. It seems to burn data cd’s and data DVD’s just fine.

But it won’t burn PS2 back-ups, no matter what I do.

I found this out when my internal LG GSA-H22N burner that I was using on a different computer (that I no longer have) died on me. The problem showed up when I tried to burn PS2 back-ups using the DVR-115D on a different computer instead.

I know its not the media because I’ve always burned on the same media (TDK’s with ID CMC MAG. AM3, and also TY’s with Media ID : TYG02)

I don’t think its the PS2 because it plays the exact same media that I wrote burned by the LG GSA-H22N just fine.

I’ve tried removing the driver and restarting, I’ve tried removing the Primary and secondary channels in the device manager then restarting.
(It’s using the Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers)

I have Ultra DMA (mode 5, device 0, device 1 says “not applicable”) enabled on the primary channel

and Ultra DMA (mode 2, both device 0 and 1) on the secondary channel.

I have a CD drive (GCE-8483B, by LG I think) and a DVD drive (JLMS DVD-RAm XJ-HD166), both of which came with the computer internally
There are also two “drives” that show up in the Device manager that do not exist, (HO6803L CIW834Z SCSI CD ROM, and DVD/CD ROM EU7595O CUN614T SCSI CD ROM), that I have ignored for ages as, I have never been able to remove them, and they have never caused any problems that I know of.

So for now, I have disabled both of the real drives, and the two “drives” that don’t exist in the device manager, just in case they are conflicting with the Pioneer. But really the two “drives” that show up in the device manager have never caused any problems before.

I am not sure how to tell what channel they are on without taking the computer apart.

For some reason, the Pioneer shows up as the H: drive, no matter what I do. It also shows as DVD-RW.

I am using Firmware 1.18 for the Pioneer.

I have tried writing at 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x and 12x.

Nero Disc Speed will run the benchmark, disc Info, and ScanDisc, but when I try to run DiscQuality it says “Drive does not support this Function”

I am running Windows XP, Home Edition.

I have tried using both Nero and imgburn. Imgburn gives the error “unable to lock volume for exclusive access”, except for once in a while it doesn’t. I have used Process Manager to stop all processes with the handle “cd”, and checked for the handles “DVD” and “H:”. It still gives the error most of the time, but telling it to burn anyway has worked fine for my Dual-Layer Xbox 360 backups and also data CD’s and DVD’s.

It’s just the PS2 back-ups that it won’t burn right, I’m using the same media I’ve always used.

The PS2 still plays back-ups that I have made on the same media but with my internal LG GSA-H22N burner before it died so I don’t see how it can be the PS2 or the media.

This has been driving me nuts, does anyone know whats wrong?

There are also two “drives” that show up in the Device manager that do not exist, (HO6803L CIW834Z SCSI CD ROM, and DVD/CD ROM EU7595O CUN614T SCSI CD ROM), that I have ignored for ages as, I have never been able to remove them, and they have never caused any problems that I know of.

probably virtual drives, what other apps do you have installed

I think they are virtual drives, I have UltraIso and Alcohol 120%

@ missyrelm,

Suggest completely and thoroughly removing all Virtual drive software programs. After removing Virtual drive software programs use a Widows Registry cleaner software program to ensure complete removal of Virtual drive software programs.

When working with images suggest using your “The Ultimate Image Burner” IMGBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program.

Suggest exclusively using your Taiyo Yuden TYG02 Media and avoid the use of known problematic CMC MAG AM3 Media.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the help!
I will have to figure out all the applications that I have on that are causing virtual drives. There may be a lot, I have a lot of applications.

Is there any list of all applications that cause virtual drives? Or a way to find out what application is causing a virtual drive?

I will remove all burning programs but Imgburn, its pretty much the only burning application that I use nowadays anyway.

At any rate, I will start with the most common offenders, and work from there, then clean the registry. It may take me a few days.

The only program that creates virtual drives that it will sting to remove is UltraIso, its helped me out in some tough spots before, especially when rebuilding isos, but I’ll get rid of whatever I have to to fix this problem.

Once all that is done I will report back.

Thanks again,

missyrelm