Burner to complement my Optiarc 7201A

vbimport

Yeah, I’m still on IDE burners because my board only has 4 SATA ports which means all 4 HDs are using them.

What’s a good drive to have to complement my Optiarc 7201? It’s a good all-around drive already right? So would you recommend a dedicated burning drive like a Pioneer or would you recommend a better reader?

How’s the Optiarc at CD burning? Decent? Good?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=dmo580;2184840]Yeah, I’m still on IDE burners because my board only has 4 SATA ports which means all 4 HDs are using them.

What’s a good drive to have to complement my Optiarc 7201? It’s a good all-around drive already right? So would you recommend a dedicated burning drive like a Pioneer or would you recommend a better reader?[/QUOTE]

Yes the 7201A is one of the best dvd and cd burners for the moment.
The pioneer 115 or 116 are also very good burners, with dvd’s and cd’s , but you wont be able to have cd/dvd scanning.
If you want a dvd scanner you should get a liteon.
Well you will have to choose what you want, another good cd/dvd burner or a scanner.

[QUOTE=dmo580;2184840]How’s the Optiarc at CD burning? Decent? Good?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yes the optiarc is a good cd burner.

Get a Lite-On iHAP322 (DH-20A8P) or iHAP422 (DH-20A8H). Since you already have an Optiarc with an NEC chipset that burns DVDs and CDs well, a Pioneer would be redundant. You need a drive that can read and rip fast, do quality scanning, and deal with certain kinds of really crappy media. The Lite-On fits that bill.

[QUOTE=negritude;2184973]Get a Lite-On iHAP322 (DH-20A8P) or iHAP422 (DH-20A8H). Since you already have an Optiarc with an NEC chipset that burns DVDs and CDs well, a Pioneer would be redundant. You need a drive that can read and rip fast, do quality scanning, and deal with certain kinds of really crappy media. The Lite-On fits that bill.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh… Optiarc not good at reading/scanning? How are the Liteons at burning, although I do realize most/all of my burning should probably be done on the Optiarc/NEC

Well i am not impressed from the new liteon drives.

[QUOTE=dmo580;2185105]Ahhh… Optiarc not good at reading/scanning? How are the Liteons at burning, although I do realize most/all of my burning should probably be done on the Optiarc/NEC[/QUOTE]

NEC Optiarcs are only good for the quality scanning of CD-Rs. They are not accurate for scanning DVDs.

The Lite-Ons are OK burners, but that’s not why you are buying one. The Lite-On fills in all the gaps that are missing from your Optiarc:

1. Hypertuning (Online and Forced) allows the burning of crap media with decent results that the Optiarc can’t handle.

2. The Lite-Ons (20A3x and 20A8x) are accurate DVD quality scanners, including scanning for jitter on both layers of dual layer media.

3. The Lite-Ons are really great readers and fast rippers, with no need for tweaked or hacked firmware.

Like I said, the whole idea is to complement your 7201. If you’re just trying to get another great burner, then you can buy a 7201A or a Pioneer, but that’s not the question you asked, was it? You want a burner with features your Optiarc doesn’t have, and only the Lite-Ons fit that bill.

I can’t make the explanation any simpler. There are no longer any existing drives on the market which do anything and everything well. You need two different burners to cover all the bases. That’s just the way it is.