Burner stopped working

vbimport

My burner suddenly stopped working. Won`t copy or play dvds or cds. Working well yesterday. Any ideas please?:confused:

well assuming it’s not a software issue then odds are the drive is dead. but if you said it was working yesterday and you did not change any software etc on the PC then the drive is probably dead. (if you got another PC you can try connecting it to another PC. if it still don’t work in another PC you can be almost certain the drive is dead)

because if it see’s the drive in Windows Explorer and device manager etc then odds are the drive is just bad.

if you got SATA ports on your PC then this is a good time to buy… http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030 ( Sony Optiarc 7240s for $19.99 (i have this drive myself and it was a huge upgrade from my Liteon burner i had in 2005))

EDIT: i just noticed your in AU then i guess my link is pretty much useless. but the basic point remains try finding that burner or something decent where you live.

Have you checked the physical connections to the drive? Is this a laptop drive or a regular desktop drive?

Does the drive still show up in My Computer and in Device Manager? Are there any indications of trouble in Device Manager for the drive?

See if it will boot up with a bootable disk in the drive. Check in the bios to make sure the boot order is set to boot from an optical drive first, then look for the operating system on the hard drive second. A bootable disk would be something like an operating system install disk, or a restore disk, or even a live cd for Linux. You can download and burn a bootable disk on another computer from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ The reason to try a bootable disk is to see if the burner will operate normally outside the operating system. If it will not, then it is probably dead.

[QUOTE=NBR;2516095]well assuming it’s not a software issue then odds are the drive is dead.

because if it see’s the drive in Windows Explorer and device manager etc then odds are the drive is just bad.

if you got SATA ports on your PC then this is a good time to buy… http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030 ( Sony Optiarc 7240s for $19.99)[/QUOTE]

Yo NBR-

OP is in Brisbane, Australia - don’t think that Newegg ships that far-eh

Thank You all for your replies. i put a disc in and it can be heard spinning and rattling and no action, no play and no copy. So, looks like you could be right-[B]DEAD.[/B] Bit too technical for me i`ll have to get my technician.:iagree:

Contrary to my previous thread i tried the burner a few hours later and [B]“believe it or not”[/B] it worked fully and is still working. Any ideas on what might have happened please?:rolleyes:

You might try checking and making sure your connections are tight

Jimbo-

You might try checking and making sure your connections are tight

Thank You i`ll check it out.:cool:

Thank You technician is working on it.:slight_smile: