Burner only produces coasters now!

Hello,

Already posted in the LG forum but didn’t get any feedback. Problem is not really brand related so thread can be added to general CD/DVD burners forum.

I have a LG GSA-2164 external burner for about 1.5 years. I don’t use it that much but since the beginning I noticed it was quit sensitive to media quality. I ended up using VERBATIM DVD+R media which gave me good results. But, since a couple of months I started having problems, making more and more coasters up to the point of almost being now unable to complete a burning.
The media I have been using are VERBATIM 16x DVD+R (MCC 004). They came from 3 different 25p cake boxes I bought together. When trying to burn, I usually get an error just after the lead-in is completed (tried with NERO and ImgBurn). Sometimes the track burning starts but at some point the LED stops blinking and the burner seems to freeze. If I wait long enough (several minutes), Nero gives me a “No seek complete” error message.
My first though was that I had a bad batch of media (sometimes they are only recognized as 4x by the burner) so I bought new ones, VERBATIM again but DVD-R instead (TYG03). The burner doesn’t even detects them.
So, I assume my LG burner is dead but would like a confirmation on that before I go and buy a new one. If that’s a case I would appreciate if someone could recommended me a cheap, good quality external burner.

Thanks,

Atome

Then you shouldn’t post it again! Posting the same thing in two threads in the same or different forums is called cross-posting and it’s against our forum rules because it creates additional work for the people involved.

Please don’t cross-post again!

Anyone who wants to respond can do so in the other thread:

GSA-2164 dead?