Burner is dying

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the HP Compaq Presario R3360US Rfrbd Notebook PC. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]Very frustrating. It’s actually not a Rfrbd model but the closest model that appeared among the selection. Anyway, according to my computer my burner is the HL-DT-ST DVD RW GCA-4040N (apprently an LG product). Consensus is this sucks and was bound to fail. I have tried all kinds of remedies without real improvement. Right now it is hit and miss. Wondering if it was a software/firmware issue I have reformatted and reinstalled the OS and drivers using the recovering discs. No real luck and in fact the drive will no longer read these discs. Writing Compaq they suggested replacing with: Teac DV-W28E (part # 379579-001). But when I do a search for either there seems no consistency. Bottom line, where is the best place to find this part and purchase as I am throughly frustrated. Or maybe I should dich the computer all together and put the cost towards something new?