Burner "hp BD E DS6E2LH FH62" (on a HP Notebook) <-- what burner is this?

vbimport

I have a HP dv6-6c60eo Notebook, and i’m wondering if the burner in it is any good.

Its a BluRay-READ/DVD-write-combo drive. DriveInfo and Nero InfoTool identifies it as:

“hp BD E DS6E2LH FH62”

I’ve googled a bit and searched this forum, but i can’t come up with any real info. I’ve never heard of a HP burner before, i always assumed HP was putting other-brand optical drives in their HP Pavilion notebook-series.

Can anyone shed a light on:

1. What burner is it? Actually what it says; a HP-manufactured drive?
  2. Regardless of the above: is it any good?

I’m thinking of buying an external USB 3 drive, though since thats a bit of a joungle (to say the least) to find the best (or at least an UPPER-decent) brand/model, i’m wondering if i “dare” use the HP drive until then.

HP Pavilion notebooks should be REASONABLE common as far as i recon, so i’m hoping someone will be able to shed a light on this…

Also (this is a but OT, but), what program does people use to CHECK their burned DVDs for errors (i don’t know the name of the specific errors, but i understand most discs have SOME kind of errors, although they are perfectly playable in a DVD-player etc…)? I’m looking for i.e. some more “detailed program” or what i’m suppose to call it. Its probably a well-known app/apps that most people here are familiar with, but i’ve yet to find what i’m looking for after browsing the forums for an hour or so…

Any help (the wonderings about the “HP burner” is a priority though) is appreciated.

/piccioni

It’s a LiteOn drive.

There is a chance that this is the same as (or is closely related to) the eSEU206 external slim burner (since most external drives are internal drives put into an external enclosure). There is a review here for that drive: http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-eseu206-blu-ray-combo-drive-review-327042/

Flip through the review, and you might get an idea of answers for all of your questions. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Albert, for your quick reply.

I never would have made the “connection” to LiteOn, let alone guessed i was sitting on a “MyCE Editors Choice” and “MyCE Editor Rating: Excellent” drive! (Even if its just a “closely related” drive - as you hinted it might be - i’m quite happy)

Wat “worries” me is, in the pros and cons conclusion, it says, among other things:

Close to excellent DVD-R writing quality.
Excellent write quality with DVD±RW media.
Excellent CD-R writing quality.

Now, i wanted it to say “excellent” or “close to excellent” DVD+R and DVD+R DL writing quality (i never use DVD-'s, OR DVD+RW’s, so…). I flipped through the whole review, and it doesn’t say DVD+R/+R DL writing is BAD, but it doesn’t say excellent either.

Well i guess its good enough to “rely” on for now (but i really DO want my burned media to last (in my - almost purposly-modified - temperature-monitored closet, where my 13 alu-cases with 1000discs/case sits) for as many years as possible. (Maby i’m going a bit overkill, but hey! I do not consider myself a “geek” in any other way, so maby “DVD/BluRay media storage” can be my new geekish image! Heh.

I’ve been burning on the highest quality media i could find (thats a jungle too) for many years, but i havn’t really payed any real attention to the quality of the BURNER itself - might be a HUGE mistake on my part…

Thanks again,
/piccioni

[QUOTE=piccioni;2657855]I have a HP dv6-6c60eo Notebook, and i’m wondering if the burner in it is any good.

Its a BluRay-READ/DVD-write-combo drive. DriveInfo and Nero InfoTool identifies it as:

“hp BD E DS6E2LH FH62”
[/QUOTE]

Could you please use C0deKing’s Flash Utility (http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities/Flash_Utility-6.0.1.rar) to dump the firmware of this drive and post a copy here? You can upload it to a free host such as mediafire.com and share the link here.

Thank you! :flower:

[QUOTE=cvs;2658267]Could you please use C0deKing’s Flash Utility (http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities/Flash_Utility-6.0.1.rar) to dump the firmware of this drive and post a copy here? You can upload it to a free host such as mediafire.com and share the link here.

Thank you! :flower:[/QUOTE]

Sure thing. I’ve never done anything like that before, but i’ll probably manage.

I’m wondering too if i have the latest firmware to this drive. HPs support-website shows no new firmware (but we all know the “support - download software and drivers”-section of “branded” consumer computers is most often a joke).

I’ll look in to it first thing in the morning!

/piccioni

[QUOTE=piccioni;2658282]Sure thing. I’ve never done anything like that before, but i’ll probably manage.

I’m wondering too if i have the latest firmware to this drive. HPs support-website shows no new firmware (but we all know the “support - download software and drivers”-section of “branded” consumer computers is most often a joke).

I’ll look in to it first thing in the morning!

/piccioni[/QUOTE]

Great, thanks! Dumping the firmware is very simple. Just press the Read Flash button …

Unfortunately HP is amongst the worse OEM’s when it comes to releasing firmware updates, particularly for slim drives … quite often the only way to find a firmware update is for users to dump the firmware from their drives (sometimes laptops manufactured later down the line come with drives with a later manufacturing date which have on board newer firmware revisions than those in the earlier laptops)…

Hey csv,

Sorry i could do this sooner, had to be hospitalized for a few days (cancer).

Anyway, here’s the result with the utility you linked to (v6.0.1).

I left the “Flash read size” at 2MB, as it was set like that when i started the application. I’ve included a screenshot from how it looked before i pushed the Read Flash-button, just so there’s no confusion (and it also says the full name of the drive AND a date from 2011, wich - just a quick guess from me - is either when the drive was made or when the latest firmware was tinkeled with. Anyway, check the screenshot for that info).

(I dunno if it matters at all, but the computer is, as i’ve said, a HP Pavilion dv6-6c60eo, intel core i7, 8gb ram, with Win 7 Home Premium, exactly as it came “out of the box”. Probably doesn’t matter at all for these purposes, but just so you know i havn’t re-installed windows or anything, if that could affect any info).

So, check the screenshot if you want to know how it looked when i pressed the button (Flash ID, Flash size, Flash type etc), prob (ably not relevant but anyway…

Edit: whoops, can’t attach those files. I uploaded the three files (screenshot, .rar and .sfv) here here:

Let me know if its not working.

(Now what? Do we check if theres a firmware upgrade somewhere or…? Can anyone pinpoint from that info EXACTLY what drive it is i have (if its even a real LiteOn-drive?)

Thanks for the help!

/piccioni

Apparently the dumped file was not valid. On cvs advice i had a go with another utility, LtnFlash. File can be found here if anyone’s interested:

I have a “HP BD-E DS6E2LH” drive, built into a Pavilion dv7 Laptop. I’ve been using it to burn CD’s and DVD’s successfully, but there is no Blu-ray burning support with the drive (at least not that I’m aware). I now have an External “ASUS BW-12D1S-U BD-RE” USB 3.0 drive The HP BD-E built-in does TO A VERY LIMITED EXTENT read back Blu-ray discs. The commercial Blu-ray movies work. Here’s the weird part - it reads Verbatim brand Blu-rays just fine, BUT Memorex brand BD-Rs, burned in my External “ASUS BW-12D1S-U BD-RE” USB 3.0 drive won’t really read, perhaps just the file structure, but any attempts to playback … glitches, AND said files Glitch after I copy them onto the desktop, so files get corrupted reading back Memorex on the HP BD-E. The Memorex discs WILL play back just fine in the External ASUS that created them. All this has been aggravating but if anyone knows of a solution, other than replacing the internal cd/dvd/blu-ray drive, please let me know.

The solution is not to use Memorex brand blu ray discs. They are not held in high esteem around here. I don’t know the mid code used in yours, but I recently found that some Memorex blu ray discs I burned a few years ago were completely unreadable now. They were Ritek BR2-000 mid code. (see here: http://club.myce.com/f33/my-ritek-2x-bd-rs-all-dead-306492/index7.html#post2666723 )

Your HP drive may also be a much poorer drive for reading blu ray than your Asus.