Burner don't recognize CDs/CD-RWs

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H10A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]greetings

My drive haven’t been able to recognize CDs/CD-RWs lately. I usually don’t mind using branded or unbranded media, and most of the time i don’t use branded media. But the drive was functioning properly since i bought it nov-2006. It can operate with DVD/DVD-R/DVD+RW/DVD+R perfectly as of the moment.

What i might suspect to be a reason is, the fan of my power supply wasn’t functioning probperly and the hottest air inside the case was near the drive. The question is could the heat do this? and why only CDs/CD-RWs are unrecoged?

Also i open it to clean it and so, and i don’t really mind as it’s not in the warranty anymore. Also it’s not my first time, i’ve done it with numerous drives including a 10+ year old matchita drive still working as if it was new. Usually the first things i clean are the lens and the retention pad, and if there was any dust i blow it out. I always try to be as tender and cautious as possible, and i use proper cleaners/detergents…but could that lead to that problem?

the biggest question of course is; is there a solution or not? and what would it be if it was there?

thanx

I almost forgot, i don’t use unofficial firmware.

Is it me or my questions are so tough to be answered???!

Hi and welcome TheOne…more,
first if you want you can open your drive and clean it, second you can try a to boot from your windows xp cd (or a linux live cd such as Ubuntu), if booting from cd fails then then it’s time to look for a new drive.

Thanks vroom for your reply, but i really would like to know what might cause a drive to recognize DVDs and don’t recognize CDs?

It’s just for the sake of curusity, so maybe i try to stay away from those/that cause(s) in the future.

waiting for your reply

[QUOTE=TheOne…more;2196865]Thanks vroom for your reply, but i really would like to know what might cause a drive to recognize DVDs and don’t recognize CDs?

It’s just for the sake of curusity, so maybe i try to stay away from those/that cause(s) in the future.

waiting for your reply[/QUOTE]

Well i don’t know what could cause that cd failure, and your guess is as good as mine.

I tried to boot an ubuntu cd, but it didn’t boot up. Do you think that this is it?

Yes, but if you want you can put the drive in another PC to try it again, but i wouldn’t expect much.

do you think that the mobo pata interface might have something to do with this situation?

[QUOTE=TheOne…more;2197236]do you think that the mobo pata interface might have something to do with this situation?[/QUOTE]

No.

ok, then what would be the component in the case that i have to change then recheck? or you mean i have to recheck using with another pc that is known to work properly as a wholw and haven’t been known to have fault like that?

Honestly i think that you simply need to replace your drive, no need to try anything else, because you will probably getting the same result (not reading cd’s).