Burner Dead?

vbimport

Please let me pick your brains.

While using my Sony CRX160e it seemed to lock-up after inserting a new blank cdr. The eject button on the drive refuses to eject or load a disk. Doesn’t matter if it’s a cdr, a cdrw, or empty. The eject command from the file manager also fails. (Sounds mechanical to me - but what ??). I used the manual eject to remove the disk and now it doesn’t appear to close all the way. At best (or maybe worst - I don’t know) it closes but won’t read. My file manager says the drive isn’t accesible. Visual inspection of the unit in the tower revealed nothing. I checked Device Manager (says the burner is working properly). I then shut down, pulled the unit and opened the burner to try to make sure I wasn’t missing something stuck inside. Nothing there. I didn’t see anything obvious to me mechanically (but there is plenty I don’t know). Pushing the eject button lights up orange once. Then nothing. Btw - the old TEAC cd reader that is installed still works. The reader is master and the burner is the slave if it matters (it hasn’t up to now). Cables and connections all seem correct to me.

Any ideas ??

PIII - 500
Windows 98 Second Edition
384 MB RAM
Two hard drives on the first channel
TEAC CD-ROM as master and Sony CRX160E as slave on the second.

i don’t really understand what u’re trying to say.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a cdr, a cdrw, or empty.

what doesn’t matter? and what is “it” in this statement?

Thanks for the response.

“…and what is “it” in this statement?”
Let me back up a little bit - “The eject button on the drive refuses to eject or load a disk. Doesn’t matter if it’s a cdr, a cdrw, or empty.” - It refers to a disk.

The burner refuses to operate - it does not matter if the disk inserted is a cdr, a cdrw or if the unit is empty. I’m saying that the failure does not seem to depend on the media being used.

(On a side note - I seem to be unable to preview my reply so please forgive me if this doesn’t come out right.)

i understand that “it” refers to a disc, but i don’t understand its relation to ur problem.

While using my Sony CRX160e it seemed to lock-up after inserting a new blank cdr. The eject button on the drive refuses to eject or load a disk. Doesn’t matter if it’s a cdr, a cdrw, or empty.

are u saying that the drive doesn’t eject discs after inserting them? or that it just doesn’t eject at all? cuz u seem to be stating both at the same time, which would be contradictory (since u would have to be able to eject the tray in order to insert a disc).

I am stating both. I have to use the manual eject hole to open the tray and insert a disk. I did this to see if the media had anything to do with it before I noticed that the tray may not be closing all the way anymore. If the tray isn’t closing all the way it is only a small fraction of an inch. Trying to gently push the tray further isn’t working. When I opened the burner to take a peek inside I didn’t notice anything bent but I might not know it if I saw it (I haven’t ever opened one before).

if the drive won’t close all the way and u can’t find any obstructions, i guess there’s really nothing u can personally do about it. u might be able to RMA the drive if it’s still under warranty.

AZImmortal:

Thank you.

you have deleted the drive from device manager, haven’t you?