Burner Can't Read Blank Media

I have a Sony CRX185E3 and I have been having problems with my drive reading blank media. When I put in a blank CD it still thinks I need to put a blank CD in the CD-RW. I thought it was the fact I was using a cheap brand, so I put in a TDK blank CD. Its an older one - 74 min/650 MB. I was using B’s Recording software that came with the drive. I tried to CDRWIN and Roxio Easy CD Creator 5, but those dont support my drive. The weird thing is that one time I used Nero 5 and it kinda worked, until it froze with 2% burned. Do you guys have any suggestions? I contacted the live agent at Sony and their suggestion was to get brand name media like TDK, Sony and Kodak.

Are your master/slave settings ok? (1 master and 1 slave on each IDE controller)
Do you use the newest firmware for your CDRW? (bugs can cause the drive to NOT read media.)
Is the IDE cable ok? (not that some mouse nibbled on it ;))

Are your master/slave settings ok? (1 master and 1 slave on each IDE controller)
Do you use the newest firmware for your CDRW? (bugs can cause the drive to NOT read media.)
Is the IDE cable ok? (not that some mouse nibbled on it )

1. I made sure that the master/slave settings were fine.
  2. I have questions on the newest firmware - I went to Sony’s website and they do not have any new firmware for my particular CD-RW. I heard that you can use Lite-On’s firmware for the 195 model. Do you anything about that?
  3. I am pretty sure the cable is fine. I mean the computer recognizes the drive and all.

BTW, how would I know if there is something wrong with the CD-RW itself? I also forgot to mention that I formatted the Hard Drive and now it tells me each time I reboot that I need to reinstall unknown hardware. Like I dont know which ones its referring to and everything seems to recognized by the computer and functioning okay.

I forgot to mention my system is a PIII-450, 128 RAM, Win2k.

get aspi from www.adaptec.com or use force aspi.easy cd creator platinum 5.02 hasn’t caught up with the new burners upgrade to 5.10 that might fix the problem

Originally posted by 2ndsign
get aspi from www.adaptec.com or use force aspi.easy cd creator platinum 5.02 hasn’t caught up with the new burners upgrade to 5.10 that might fix the problem

Which as usual with your post , is totally beyond the problem , since Nero uses his own aspi drivers , but …

Anyhoo… back to the problem :

How many different media have you tried ? I assume that with the package came a CD-R and a CD-RW disc. Did they also have that problem ? As you stated you thought it was because of cheap brand , tried a TDK , but with the same results.

Are there any background programs active for CD-RW usage (Nero IN Cd , stuff like that) that might (but unlikely) affect writing.

How’s the reading capability of the thing ? Does it recognize all the cd-roms ? No problems copying it ? If that also is the case , it might be that the lens of the writer is broken or dirty. While it’s under warranty , better bring it back then if that could be the case.

Some background info i’ve been searching :

According to the manual of B’s writer program it does not matter what kind of firmware your CRX185E3 is , it should always work. It also states that buffer underrun protection is always on. (They have a nice pdf about it :slight_smile: )

Nero also doesn’t care about the firmware and should support it since version 5.5.7.5

I’m pretty sure CloneCD also doesn’t care what kind of firmware your writer is :slight_smile:

I am having the same problem (different burner - different hardware - different OS, but same results) See my thread here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51118

I am refraining from posting any more in that thread until I verify what I’ve been testing. But for reference purposes, this is what I’ve done / tried…

Was using Nero Burning Rom and InCD on a Duron 1G with Win XP Pro. A Lite-On LTR 32123S (Burner - Master, IDE2) and A Memorex 40x(Plain CDROM - Slave, IDE2). Once in a while the Lite-On would not be able to recognize blank media.

1.) Upgraded Lite-On firmware - problem persisted
2.) Disabled / enabled XP built-in burning - didn’t seem to matter
3.) Uninstalled InCD - problem less often but persisted nonetheless
4.) Power Off PC and restart (Hard Boot) POOF! Drive works again! - not a workable solution, however.
5.) In desperation, I removed the Memorex 40x slave drive and the problem has yet to reappear (36 hrs and counting, multiple reboots / restarts) not conclusive evidence, but the best results I’ve gotten so far.

Best I can tell - the Memorex drive would only run in PIO mode (while the Lite-On was running in UDMA). Maybe a problem with having them on the same IDE? Maybe the memorex was starting to go bad? Maybe I just forgot to set something up correctly? Either way - I’ll take this solution if I have to.

I hope this helped somewhat - I’ve been trying to figure this one out for over a week. If anybody has any advise or suggestions feel free to respond to my original post in the Lite-On forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51118)