Burner can\'t recognize DVD-RW drive; drive shows as "CD Drive" (NEC ND-2100A)

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC ND-2100A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’m having a bit of a problem with my DVD-RW drive not being recognized by my DVD burner. My burner program is Roxio Drag-to-Disc from the Media Creator 9 suite. I have used this program for a couple of years to make backup discs and have never had any problems until about a month ago when I had a Windows issue and had to do a system restore. At first Windows Explorer would not even recognize that I had a DVD-RW drive. Now it recognizes the drive as an ND-2510A, but when I place a blank disc in it changes to a CD Drive. From the threads I have read this “CD Drive” issue should just be a cosmetic problem with Windows and should not affect my ability to burn DVDs. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

I’ve read through several threads here about the DVD-RW showing as CD Drive problem. I thought there might be a firmware problem, so following the instructions on one of these threads I flashed my ND-2500A drive and it now reads as an ND-2510A…until I put a disc in it, then it says it’s a CD Drive and Roxio still can’t find it, just like before. I’m using Sony DVD+R media which is a brand I have used frequently in the past, although I’ve used a number of other brands as well and not had any problems before. I can’t think of any software or hardware changes I have made recently that would cause a conflict. Is my drive just dead? I hope this makes some sense. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

If you have XP then go into device manger and uninstall the IDE channel that your burner is on and reboot the computer and let it reinstall the IDE channel and then you should be OK

From the threads I have read this “CD Drive” issue should just be a cosmetic problem with Windows and should not affect my ability to burn DVDs. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

It is not a problem, that’s just what XP does and has absolutely no bearing on whatever issues you have… period.

Try this little script.

http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm