Burner burns badly skipping audio CDs

vbimport

Hello all! Since this is my first post here, I may as well mash up my introduction with my troubleshooting. I am a junior chemical engineering student and part time computer fiddle-with-er. I have a decent knowledge of how to make nonfunctioning computers function, but at least 98% of the terms I’ve so far encountered trying to fix this thing are completely unknown to me, so please be slow and gentle.

Anyway, I have recently been encountering issues with my Optiarc DVD-RW AD-5540A in my laptop. Whenever I burn audio CD’s at 24x (I have always burned them fine at this speed!) the songs will have awful gaps in them, usually comprised of the first two seconds of the song and a few chunks out of the beginning parts. By maybe 30-45 seconds into each track, the skipping ceases and it plays as normal, only to have the next track skip as well. I reseated the drive and noted that one of the screws that support it was loose, so I secured it. I then did something called a ‘Advanced DAE test’ in Nero’s CD-DVD Speed application, which after creating a sample audio CD ran some tests to see if everything was okay. Here are the results of that test, as I am at a loss as how to interpret them:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Offset
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
264 bytes (66 samples)

Sequential Read Test
Average Speed: 18.22 X
Data errors: 0
Sync errors: 0

Random Read Test
Average Access Time:  168 ms
Data errors: 0
Sync errors: 0
Total Data Errors: 0
Total Sync Errors: 0
Quality Score: 100.0

On The Fly Copying Simulation
Copying at 1 x
OK
Copying at 2 x
OK
Copying at 4 x
OK
Copying at 6 x
OK
Copying at 8 x
OK
Copying at 10 x
OK
Copying at 12 x
OK
Copying at 16 x
too slow

CD Text
Drive is capable of reading CD Text information

Subchannel Data
Test 1
  Track (01): 01
  Relative position (01:05.00): 01:05.00
  Absolute position (01:07.00): 01:07.00
  Index (5): 5

Test 2
  Track (17): 17
  Relative position (01:33.00): 01:33.00
  Absolute position (33:35.00): 33:35.00
  Index (1): 1

Test 3
  Track (36): 36
  Relative position (00:00.00): 00:00.00
  Absolute position (70:02.00): 70:02.00
  Index (1): 1

Lead-in
Drive cannot read data from the Lead-in

Lead-out
Drive cannot read data from the Lead-out

Test completed
Elapsed Time:  0:20:18

After this I proceeded to run a Scandisc of the disc that had been created for the test using Nero. The disk was 98% perfect, but in one of the tracks there existed 738 C1 errors and 595 C2 errors. Also, a ‘disc quality’ scan revealed this information:

General Information
Drive: Optiarc DVD RW AD-5540A
Firmware: 1.J0
Disc: Audio CD (CMC Magnetics)
Selected speed: Maximum
C1 errors
Maximum: 1051
Average: 8.37
Total: 37128
C2 errors
Maximum: 0
Average: 0.00
Total: 0
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 4:20
Number of samples: 4433
Average scanning interval: 1.00 sec
Glitches removed: 0

What does all of this mean? Do these results look promising, that I am operating within acceptable limits? Is this not enough information? Are there are other utilities that would provide a clearer picture – or some features of the program I am using already that could tell me if my CD burner is operating properly? What else could I do here?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

Hi [B]shallowbreath[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Some versions of Nero have problems writing Audio CDs correctly, so you could try another program such as the free Burrrn.

Your quality scan results show C1 in excess of 1000 C1 errors per second which is terrible quality (provided that the drive is useful for C1/C2 scanning). You can try burning slower, e.g. at 16x, 12x, 10x, 8x (depending on which speeds are supported by your drive) and you can try other CD-R media.

And burn slower.