Burned movies stop 3/4 way thru

vbimport

I have a Benq DW1655 burner, running windows xp, sp2, using Nero 7.5.9.0 to burn dvd’s…

Seems like a number of the movies I burn stop about 3/4th of the way thru playing…

Does not happen to all of the DVD’s, nor when playing on 3 different DVD players…

Using Sony dvd-r’s 16x, but only burning them at 8x…

Any suggestions?

It’s generally an issue of burn quality, though your player could potentially be overly picky as well. Burn quality could be caused by the media, the burner, burn speed, etc.

Having said that, Sony’s media is generally respectable, the 1655 is a great drive, and burning at 8x is often the best speed to burn 16x media at. Other factors can be involved that are difficult to put a finger on, such as some media having better reflectivity than others.

What I would suggest is to download Nero CD-DVD Speed (it’s free), and run a transfer rate test and a quality scan on a couple of the problematic discs and post the images here. For the quality scan, I would suggest 8x as a starting point, though any speed would be helpful. Performing these tests will give you an idea of whether or not the burn quality appears to be a clear issue.

Hi scoobiedoobie
I agree 100%

Lovetodrive2000 you may want to defrag your system and also don’t have any programs running in the background during the burning process

Tim

OK, once I get a couple of the movies back I’ll run the tests and then post the results…

Appreciate the help!

Till the “bad” disks get back… here is a disk scan on a dvd that does work in my system (but then it seems like my dvd player doesn’t have issues!)…

General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD LS DW1655
Firmware: BCIB
Disc: DVD-R (SONY16D1)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 32
Average: 10.15
Total: 125766
PI failures
Maximum: 12
Average: 0.71
Total: 7846
PO failures: 0
Jitter
Maximum: 11.7 %
Average: 7.79 %
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 11:51
Number of samples: 17643
Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

I’ve attached screen captures… couldn’t get them to post in this message…

A perfect TRT (transfer rate test), good jitter levels, error levels are fairly dense but some Sony discs seem to burn that way - not a huge concern though, seeing high spikes would be a bigger issue but there’s nothing too terrible in your scan. Nothing from those tests would indicate a problem - even perfect tests don’t guarantee proper playback in standalone dvd players, though having good test results certainly increases those odds greatly. I’ll be interested in seeing how some of the ‘bad’ discs test.

OK, hopefully be able to post them tomorrow…

Thanks again.

OK… here is what I have from one of the dvd’s that would not play at all…

General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD LS DW1655
Firmware: BCIB
Disc: DVD+R (SONY D21)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 1449
Average: 59.43
Total: 856191
PI failures
Maximum: 134
Average: 6.34
Total: 81045
PO failures: 24
Jitter
Maximum: 16.4 %
Average: 10.22 %
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 9:46
Number of samples: 16063
Average scanning interval: 8.48 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

And here is the speed scan…

Yep, that would not come as a suprise - what you are looking at are a disc’s ‘correctable’ error levels, all discs have errors on them that the drive’s error correction compensates for. But if they become concentrated enough in one spot, they will create reading errors/problems. About the first 300-400MB of your scan shows very high error and jitter levels. In your burns that will play about 3/4ths of the way through, I suspect that you’ll find high levels towards the outer edge of the discs. BTW, although your TRT of your second disc looks ok at the beginning, that’s probably because burners are better readers than standalone players, plus the fact that the read speed is much slower at the start of a disc so it’s not as hard to read at slower speeds.

So what does this mean then you’re probably wondering - like I said in your initial tests, while the error levels are a little high, they’re not horrible, and the TRT (transfer rate test) is perfect. If you are getting bad burns with these discs in your Benq at 8x, it’s very likely that you just got a bad batch of discs. This is under the assumption that the discs are not physically being stored poorly, do not have heavy scratches/fingerprints/etc., and that the discs do not have adhesive labels attached to them (full size disc labels often cause problems).

I would suggest trying some other discs to see how they do - Verbatim’s discs are very good and often on sale, although the Benq 1655 is a good enough drive that it can handle almost any decent media just fine so it doesn’t necessarily have to be great media to confirm whether or not the drive is having any problems, though I don’t think your problem is drive related, much more likely media related I’m thinking.

OK… appreciate the info…

I do put full labels on the DVD’s after burning… are you recommending that I stop that practice?

Seems weird that not all DVD’s have the problem, so I wonder if maybe it is a combination of DVD, me doing other things on the PC during burning, labels, and who knows what else.

Thanks again,
Mike

Definitely stop putting labels on your discs, it doesn’t do much for playability or stability. Try keeping the DVDs label-less first and see how you go :slight_smile:

Some DVDs last longer than others with labels on, that could account for why some of them play without incident.

Have a read of this thread: Sticky paper labels on DVD+/-R discs: beware! :slight_smile:

Also if that doesn’t help, try Verbatim as suggested. And try not to put any labels on them. :wink:

OK, you have convinced me…

No more labels… Guess I’ll have to try and read my lousy handwriting on the DVD’s! :slight_smile:

I hear ya, all mine are written on with Sharpies :eek:

Glad I mentioned labels, but I wished I’d done it sooner. :stuck_out_tongue:

Labels are bad, bad, bad, and are the root of your problems. I write with sharpies on my discs as well and my handwriting is horrible, but at least the discs play properly.

scoobiedoobie—

It’s generally an issue of burn quality, though your player could potentially be overly picky as well. Burn quality could be caused by the media, the burner, burn speed, etc.

Having said that, Sony’s media is generally respectable, the 1655 is a great drive, and burning at 8x is often the best speed to burn 16x media at. Other factors can be involved that are difficult to put a finger on, such as some media having better reflectivity than others.

What I would suggest is to download Nero CD-DVD Speed (it’s free), and run a transfer rate test and a quality scan on a couple of the problematic discs and post the images here. For the quality scan, I would suggest 8x as a starting point, though any speed would be helpful. Performing these tests will give you an idea of whether or not the burn quality appears to be a clear issue.
I know it`s an old post but is it ok to ask further? [B]I have sent you a [/B]PM.:cool: