Burned DVD's Won't play in certain internal PC DVD drives

vbimport

Hello,

I have a small internet business that involves burning software DVD’s that I then send out to my customers. Ever so often I have a customer send me an email telling me that the DVD won’t play/autorun and that they can’t view the contents. The only solutions that I have for them is an firmware update (which I only say because I don’t know what else to tell them) or a refund. Or buy a new drive of course.

I have a DVD drive here that only reads cd/dvd and I have problems with it playing my burned DVD’s also. Sometimes I put the DVD in and it will spin, stop, spin, stop etc… And other times it may start right up. That drive is an Toshiba SD-M1502.

My question here is am I doing something wrong when I burn the DVD in Nero? I have the latest nero. My DVD burner is an LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H. I am running Windows XP.

It is not so easy to find out what the problem is.

I assume you use high quality media since you make your money with burning DVDs. Do you only have the LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H as burner? I’d recommend a 2nd burner (the same or an other good ODD). It may be possible your burner has buning problems or your burner does not like your media.

Since you make your money with burning DVDs (maybe CDs?) you should buy a good scanning device. Unfortunately the good scanning drives are all vanished from the stores. There were BenQ’s, Liteon’s and Plextors as good quality scanning devices. I do not have an good advice for an “allround scanner”. If you have the possibility to get an PX-760A or PX-755A get it and you have a good scanner (and burner).

The problem with your Toshiba SD-M1502 could have two reasons. This DVD ROM is rather old. It should be from 2001 or 2002. It is maybe aged ad a little picky with burned media. I also have this drive (I also have SD-1712) and I do not have any problems with it.

I do not think that Nero is the problem. I guess the problem results from a poor burn quality. For this reason, tell us more about your used media. Do you use the latest firmware for your burner? Do you have a quality scan capable drive?

@ phantompanic,

Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately you have failed provided penitent information to definitely establish exactly what your problem might be.

From the limited information you have provided it appears your problem might be caused by the use of poor quality blank Media used to record the DVD Video you are providing to your customers.

Use ONLY known proven quality blank DVD Media that consistently produces quality error free results such as Yaiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media. Burn this known proven quality Media at a speed slightly lower that the Media rated speed. When performing your Burning operations ensure that all unnecessary background MultiTasking operations are curtailed. Ensure that the undisclosed Software Program you are using to Burn your recorded DVD Video is the newest most current version available. Ensure that YOUR LiteOn LH-20A1H has to newest most current up to date available Firmware installed.

To ensure that the recorded DVD Video you are providing to your customers is a quality error free product perform a Disk Quality San of the recorded the DVD Video. This is a definitive way to ensure your recorded DVD Video is an error free product. To obtain information on how to perform Disk Quality Sans suggest reviewing the Nero CD DVD Speed User Guid (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563) and note the procedures on how to perform Disk Quality Sans.

Regards,
bjkg

I am using Taiyo Yuden media. I have already confirmed that the media is the real deal.

I don’t understand what you mean by “allround scanner”. What makes an PX-760A or an PX-755A any better then the one I have?

After I have burned the DVD it plays just fine in the burner. I have never had a “coaster”. I used to use a Samsung burner that would do the same thing when played in my Toshiba.

Why do older drives have a hard time playing burned DVD’s?

The DVD is not a video DVD it is a software DVD. There are some video tutorials on it though.

[QUOTE=phantompanic;2023152]
I don’t understand what you mean by “allround scanner”. What makes an PX-760A or an PX-755A any better then the one I have?
[/QUOTE]
This Plextor drives are able to make very reliable quality scans. I do not know if your Liteon drive is also able to scan jitter and all the stuff. I never had a Liteon and I do not read the Liteon section frequently :o. I know there are Liteon drives quality scan capable.

If your drive is capable to do a quality scan, it would help us if you’d do a scan of one of your “problem disks”. It may be possibel the disk has a high jitter or to much disk errors.

If we’d have a quality scan we could tell you more.

Finally it could be possible that the DVD-ROM drives only has problems with burned DVDs. But this is all a speculation at the moment…

That LiteOn can scan jitter. It’s a decent scanner, but it may not be quite as consistent as a Plextor drive.

I am not sure, but I think that the latest version of CD DVD Speed may block the A1 series’ jitter for the A4 series’ jitter support. I can’t be sure. If that is the case, and your drive doesn’t do a jitter scan after it scans for the PIE and PIF, you may scan for jitter by using DVD Scan [ http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/new-toy-dvdscan-feedback-here-180404/ ].

Ok I ran the tests and here they are. What can you make of this?

[QUOTE=phantompanic;2025220]Ok I ran the tests and here they are. What can you make of this?

[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t look real pretty. Try another scan this time at 4x some LiteOns don’t scan well at 8x.

Ok, here is the scan at 4X. Look any better?

[QUOTE=phantompanic;2025474]Ok, here is the scan at 4X. Look any better?

[/QUOTE]

Yep, a pretty decent burn. PIE isn’t the nicest, especially for TYG02 but it’s acceptable. TYG02 isn’t the most widely compatible media due to low reflectivity, perhaps that’s the issue with these drives. Mostly that problem should show up on standalones but some pc drives could show it too I’d imagine. You could give 16x Verbatim discs a shot due to their higher reflectivity and therefore better compatibility.

Thanks for the information. I may try a small pack of those disks.

I don’t understand how these tests have anything to do with my problems and my customers problems though.