Burned DVDs not playing in standalone player

vbimport

I have a new LG-GH22NP20 DVD burner that is burning DVDs but they are unable to play on my standalone dvd players. I previously owned an LG GSA-4163B in my old computer which worked flawlessly, perfect dvds every time, no coasters. New Computer Setup: Gateway GM5632E w/ Vista Home Premium. When I purchased my new computer it came with an Optiarc 7173A burner which burned DVDs but also would not play them on my standalone, thought the problem was the burner so I purchased the new LG-GH22NP20, but I am still having the same problem: unable to play burned DVDs on my standalone. I use DVD Shrink 3.2 w/ Nero 8 for burning. All settings on DVD Shrink seem to be identical to the setup on my old computer. I am using the same discs I have used in the past Ritek dvd-r media. I was hoping someone out there would have some advice on how to solve this problem, please help!

Thanks,

Chris

It may be that the Ritek disks you are using were more compatible with your older burner than either of the newer ones. Ritek blank media is not held in high esteem around here.

First thing to try is burning at a slower speed…8x if your disks are rated at 16x. Next would be getting better blank disks. We generally advise people to get Verbatim 16x media. Burn it at 8x or 12x and you should get excellent results.

Taiyo Yuden 8x +R media (found online at Rima.com or supermediastore.com) is another good choice. It can be burned at its rated speed with no problems.

Another possible track to take is to use +R media and bitset it to look like a dvd-rom to your player. This should improve compatibility. Not sure how you would do this with Nero, but ImgBurn can change the booktype (bitset) with LG drives. Maybe someone else will chip in on a way to do this with Nero 8…I gave up on Nero at the 7th incarnation.

Maybe someone else will chip in on a way to do this with Nero 8

The first screen shot is Nero Burning ROM and the second is Nero Vision 5.

While Nero 8 is a significant improvement over previous versions, there does not appear to be a consistent method for finding “Book Type Setting” for the various programs within the suite.

I don’t know why you guys are pushing the OP to go with +R. He noted that his standalone worked fine with -R (as all players with having do).

I didn’t push +R. In fact, if you look at my response, my first bit of advice was to slow down his burn speed on his current media. Then I said buy Verbatim (no recommendation of +R or -R included).

I believe the 8x TY +R to be better than the 8x -R in quality, so I mentioned that as an alternative. And bitsetting is just another thing to try.

Arguably, a +R bitset to dvd rom is as compatible or more so than -R.

I agree with Kerry…
I happen to have 1 dvd player that will only play +r, and one will only play -R, so I just bitset +r to avoid hassles… It all boils down to the end use…

How do you bitset. I have some Maxwell 8x DVD +R blank dics that I would like to try out, they are the disc’s that did not want to work in my old LG burner, so they are sitting around collecting dust, I figure why not try it. Please provide step-by-step details on how to bitset. Also, will bitsetting void my warranty?

Thanks,

Chris

Bitsetting (AKA Booktyping) affects the disc, not your drive and there is no reason to think it will affect your warranty. You might be thinking of changing your firmware which might impact on your warranty, especially if something goes wrong during the flashing.

I provided some information in my earlier post using Nero and Kerry56 mentioned you could use the program imgburn. Hopefully, the screen shots will get you going.

By the way, Bitsetting is not a guarantee or a miracle cure but it does increase the possibility that your disc will play, especially on an older model.

please try anydvd
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f88/

or dvdfab.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/

as dvdshrink is no longer updated for current copy protections.

please use quality dvd media such as YUDEN T02 or TYG02, as i have used many other media TY is all i trust
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-plus-r-media.html
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media.html

I made the inverse buying sequence. First bought a LG-GH22NP20; dvd worked perfectly on my standalone (an LG Home Theatre), but the LG-GH22NP20 read my dvds only at 4x (very annoying wait for 25 mins to copy a dvd on hard disk). So I bought a Optiarc 7200A, it reads at 15x, but burned dvds (also Verbatim R) are not playable on standalone player. I’m very pissed!!!

Obviousky your standalone is not good enough to treat that hi-speed DVDs well.

[QUOTE=whitegandalf81;2148669]I made the inverse buying sequence. First bought a LG-GH22NP20; dvd worked perfectly on my standalone (an LG Home Theatre), but the LG-GH22NP20 read my dvds only at 4x (very annoying wait for 25 mins to copy a dvd on hard disk). So I bought a Optiarc 7200A, it reads at 15x, but burned dvds (also Verbatim R) are not playable on standalone player. I’m very pissed!!! [/QUOTE]

You may want to try running CDSPEED against one of the dvd’s, and you may want to try bitsetting a +r dvd to a -rom and see if that works.