Burned DVDs lock up half way through

vbimport

I have been trying to burn ISOs to DVD. I have used both Nero and ImgBurn and in both cases the DVD will get burned and when I put it in the DVD player it works until about half way through when it pauses and usually stops working. I tried changing my burning speed to 4x and it worked the first time I did it. After that it went back to the same problem. Any ideas guys?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What brand of discs are you using, and what speed are they rated for?

[quote=Arachne;2047854]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What brand of discs are you using, and what speed are they rated for?[/quote]

I am using Memorex DVD+R 16x

Chances are it’s the media if you can’t burn higher than 4x without it locking up during playback.

I’d try some Verbatim discs - you should be able to burn at at least 8x with excellent results, at least I can with Verbatim discs.

And keep using ImgBurn to burn your ISOs, and don’t bother with Nero :wink:

[quote=Arachne;2047858]Chances are it’s the media if you can’t burn higher than 4x without it locking up during playback.

I’d try some Verbatim discs - you should be able to burn at at least 8x with excellent results, at least I can with Verbatim discs.

And keep using ImgBurn to burn your ISOs, and don’t bother with Nero ;)[/quote]

It only worked once on 4x. That is what strange to me.

[QUOTE=shmoove;2047860]It only worked once on 4x. That is what strange to me.[/QUOTE]

Well the thing is with Memorex. They use a variety of different manufacturers, and while some can be good, others can be a bit variable in quality. Unlike with Verbatim (or something like Sony, to a lesser extent), where you know what you’re getting.

Just to cover all bases, what burner do you have?

[quote=Arachne;2047864]Well the thing is with Memorex. They use a variety of different manufacturers, and while some can be good, others can be a bit variable in quality. Unlike with Verbatim (or something like Sony, to a lesser extent), where you know what you’re getting.

Just to cover all bases, what burner do you have?[/quote]

PBDS DVD±RW DS-8W1P

[QUOTE=shmoove;2047866]PBDS DVD±RW DS-8W1P[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Laptop burner? Do you have the latest firmware?

I cant find firmware for it anywhere.

In that case I really think 16x Verbatim have the best chance of being supported by the drive.

Maybe buy a small pack to try if you don’t want to commit yourself :slight_smile:

^^ Agree. You might be better off upgrading your blank media. And finding a firmware update.

ImgBurn makes that easy.

[B]Tools>Drive>Check for firmware update.[/B]

[quote=7thSinger;2047884]^^ Agree. You might be better off upgrading your blank media. And finding a firmware update.

ImgBurn makes that easy.

[B]Tools>Drive>Check for firmware update.[/B][/quote]

I tried that but my drive is greyed out. I cant select it :frowning:

never mind i ungreyed it.

Good deal…did you find an applicable update for your firmware?

It didnt work. When I click check for firmware updates it opens my internet explorer but the site cant be found.

Odd indeed. What website is it trying to send you to?

What’s the make/model number of your burner?

Definately give the Verbatim’s a try and i’ll see if i can find a firmware update for you.

[QUOTE=shmoove;2047866]PBDS DVD±RW DS-8W1P[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile:

Yeah, i saw that after i posted. Good catch Arachne…:smiley:

So far i’m coming up completely nil on firmware’s for it. I’ll keep checking though.

[quote=7thSinger;2048009]Odd indeed. What website is it trying to send you to?

What’s the make/model number of your burner?

Definately give the Verbatim’s a try and i’ll see if i can find a firmware update for you.[/quote]

It trys to send me to:
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces=DVD+-RW+DS-8W1P

Aha! rpc1 is down at the moment, which is why the page won’t load.