Burned DVD's have no sound

vbimport

Hello,

First post. I tried searching the forums, but didn’t have much luck with the answers I found there. Sorry if I overlooked some obvious answer there.

I’m copying movies from an old 8MM camcorder. I’m capturing using a Pinnacle Movie Box. I’ve used both Studio 9 and Studio 12 Ultimate. The captured MPEG file has sound, but the burned DVD does not.

Here’s a few things I’ve tried:

1. Captured and burned with Studio 9 - Picture, but no sound
  2. Captured and burned with Studio 12 Ultimate - Picture, but no sound
  3. Captured with both and burned with ConvertXtoDVD - Picture, but no sound
  4. Created disc content with Studio 12, confirmed that the VOB files have sound, and burned with Nero Vision 4 - Picture, but no sound (I have a log of the burn available if I should post it).

Also, after reading the other posts, I DLed GSPOT and tried to look at my files, but I just get a lot of “n.a.” in the fields, so I’m guessing that I’m not using GSPOT correctly.

Suggestions ?

Thanks,
Jim

What media player are you using? Try VLC or MPClassic…
Does you captured mpeg on HDD play both video and audio correctly?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. No sound when I play on a conventional DVD player (but I do get the video).

The MPEG file on HDD plays both audio and video correctly (same with the VOB files).

Ultimately, I want to play these on a conventional DVD player since these are my “home movies” to share with family, etc…

Thanks,
Jim

Well you need to convert your single mpg file to DVD structure…You say that you used ConvertxtoDVD, it should have created a VIDEO_TS folder with VOB’s,IFO’s and BUP’s…Do you have a proper VIDEO_TS folder? Does the burned DVD play on PC DVD drive?
Can you post a Gspot screenshot of original captured mpg?

Try MediaInfo to inspect the mpeg files. We really need to know the specifications on the audio.

Only certain types of audio work on dvds—ac3, mp2, pcm and dts. All have to be at 48khz.

Yes, I have a VIDEO_TS folder. I played tje VOB files using Nero, and they seemed fine (with sound and in sync).

No, I couldn’t play them on my PC. It kept locking up any player I used, but I was able to view all the DVD’s I made using my conventional DVD player

I hope this photo gets into my post… here goes nothing. GSPOT info:

Thanks,
Jim

Hmm… image not showing ? Here’s the link:
http://groups.msn.com/Jimsjunk/images.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=14304

That Gspot image isn’t telling me anything. Maybe t0nee2 can make something out of it.
MediaInfo might give more information: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

To get an image in your post hit Go Advanced, then Manage Attachments.

MediaInfo output (text format)

General
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\JimD\My Documents\My Videos\Tape01.mpg
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 5.47 GiB
Duration : 2h 3mn
Overall bit rate : 6 340 Kbps

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 5 676 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 6 000 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4/3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.579

Audio
ID : 192 (0xC0)
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Bit rate : 224 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Video delay : 125ms

Thanks,
Jim

There doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with that. It is using mp2 audio, 224kbps and 48khz which is all normal.

That is a 5.47gb file. Are you compressing to fit a single layer dvd or are you burning to dual layer disks?

Post a screenshot of a vob from the VIDEO_TS folder…

Try another conversion app…
Import mpg in a different app, like FAVC or DVDflick,to create a new DVD folder,and burn with IMGburn…
Most likely a conversion issue…

I’m not using dual layer discs, so it must be compressed. When I drop files into ConvertXtoDVD, it automatically fits everything onto the disc. Similarly, Studio allows me to change options from high quality to “more on disc”. I can only assume that these programs compress the information to make it fit, but I’m really not sure.

Thanks so much for the help.

Jim

As an aside, I have no issue burning DVD’s from movies I DL.

Here’s the MediaInfo for one of the VOB files:

General
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\JimD\My Documents\Pinnacle Studio\My Disc Images\My Movie\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 1 024 MiB
Duration : 30mn 1s
Overall bit rate : 4 768 Kbps

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Bit rate : 4 213 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 8 500 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4/3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.821

Audio
ID : 192 (0xC0)
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 2
Bit rate : 224 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits

Menu
Format : DVD-Video

Thanks,
Jim

If trying another conversion program like DVDFlick or FAVC doesn’t work, I’m down to grasping at straws. Perhaps there is something wrong within the audio of the mpeg file.

So, the next thing I’d try would be to demux the mpeg files to separate audio and video streams, then see if the audio plays ok by itself. You can demux with the free version of TMPGenc: http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/download.html Hit File, then Mpeg Tools, then Simple Demultiplex. It will output two streams (audio and video) but leave the original mpeg file untouched.

Try playing this audio stream in VLC, since it can play virtually anything. http://www.videolan.org/vlc Also free to download and use.

Thanks all. I’m just DLed DVDFlick and I’m going to try it. Alternately, I may try splitting off the audio track.

I’ll follow-up tomorrow with my results.

Thanks,
Jim

Yeah try FAVC or Flick, and If I were doing it, I would encode to an ac3 audio instead of mp2 for my DVD…Did Studio not give you an option?

Well, I used DVDFlick to create the content. I used the default settings and I did just as expecte. I checked one of the VOB files and it had sound when played with Nero Showtime.

I then used ImgBurn to make the DVD… and had the same problem. On my conventional DVD player I get picture, but no sound.

Tomorrow I’m planning to contact Pinnacle and have them walk me through a resolution. I figure that a paid software product should be able to capture from a simple camcorder and burn it’s own content.

Pinnacle does give me to option to choose Dolby audio (Dolby 2, or something ?)

With regards to DVDFlick, I’d appreciate some info about how to choose the audio compression. I didn’t see it right away when I checked some of the menus, but I could have overlooked it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may strip the audio out of the MPEG to check it out. Time for some games now to clear my head…

Thanks,
Jim

Quick update…

I used the TMPGEnc to strip the audio and video off the MPEG. The audio played fine with the VLC player. I now have an *.mp2 file and an *.m2v file from my original.

Thanks,
Jim

Load your .m2v and .mp2 in an authoring program like Gui forDVDAuthor or DVD Lab ,muxman, etc. and create a new DVD…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GUI_for_dvdauthor

Back to your audio issue, perhaps your standalone DVD player is having probs with your burned disc…Try a different standalone…

Maybe your standalone player doesn’t like .mp2? Convert your .mp2 file to ac3 with something like ffmpeggui http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpegGUI

Then build a new dvd using a standalone authoring program. T0nee1 mentioned a couple. Another is DVDStyler, which is free, though I’m not sure it will take separate streams as input. I use DVDLab Pro, and I know for a fact it will take them. DVDLab Pro isn’t free but there is a fully functional trial available and the help file is one of the best I’ve seen.

By the time this project is finished, we will have run out of programs for you to try! :slight_smile:

I’m DLed the GUI for dvdauthor program and I’ll run it tonight while I sleep. I’ll report back tomorrow.

Regarding the player, I recently burned Star Wars episode II and it plays fine (from a DLed AVI).

Thanks,
Jim