Burned DVD won't play in some machines

I burned a DVD with subtitles and it will load and play fine in a combination Toshiba TV / DVD player, but it won’t even load in my component system which uses a model Denon DVD-1710. I have burned numerous DVDs before, using the latest version of ANY DVD and Clone DVD2, without a hitch. So after 3 tries, I obviously have all the right VOB files and the data for the entirety of the movie. Yet I must need to do something else to get this to be an easily playable DVD on all my machines. Can someone very experienced in this give me some help. The data to compile this DVD was from an AVI file, since it was a rare foreign film. The subtitles are a .SUB (.TXT) file, and I used AVI2DVD to compile the VOB files in a video DVD format. Obviously it worked most of the way, but something must be wrong or I am overlooking something.

Again, in the Toshiba combination TV / DVD unit, everything, even the subtitles are totally there and it is great quality.

Please give me some detailed help. Thanks in advance

Brand of disk (+ or -)? Burn speed? Burning program? Does your burner support bit setting?

I think it will burn all the way to 16x, but I normally slow it down to 2x or 4x, as I feel it is less likely to have errors. Rushing is not a concern, but quality is.
The burner is in a computer, and it is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D. I also have a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D in another computer, but either of these normally cause no problem at all with the same software.

Verbatim DVD-R, good quality disks, again been using a lot of them and rarely is there a problem. As previously stated, the program is Clone DVD2.

As far as bitsetting goes, my understanding is that the firmware needs upgrading to do it, but with DVD-R disks, that is unimportant. This has never been an issue before, and I have burned hundreds of disks this way, just this one time it is a problem, and I was hoping for some help, please.

Welcome to CDFreaks :slight_smile:

Two things. Disc manufacturers, at least the good ones(Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, etc.) design the dye they use to burn best near the rated speed. As one who has burned DVD’s and scanned those burns for years, I can tell you you’re not likely to get better quality burning at 2x-4x. Usually just the reverse. Burn 8X DVD’s at 6X-8X and 16X DVD’s at 8X to 12X for best quality. Next, CloneDVD2 is a great ripper, but it certainly isn’t the best burning software. Really. IMGBurn produces significantly better burns than Clone does, and its free. Cost you nothing to give it a try :).

Again, the quality is great - just won’t load in the DEMON machine, but it does in the TOSHIBA combination DVD / TV - This is the only time I have done this from an .AVI file, using AVI2DVD to create the VOB files combined with the subtitle text file. All is there, just won’t load in the DEMON machine. There is something here that I don’t have set right, a step I am omitting, or something I don’t know - don’t think the brand of DVD or the speed is the issue here, since I do it this way on all others, with great results.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2259798] Next, CloneDVD2 is a great ripper, but it certainly isn’t the best burning software. Really. IMGBurn produces significantly better burns than Clone does, and its free. Cost you nothing to give it a try :).[/QUOTE]

No software is better then another software its what feature your looking for and what each has to offer to you whether paid or free. But if you think it does burn better then you should provide supporting information as such without that opinion is a opinion. Here part of a review from online on Clonedvd

Features:

* Copies the main movie, special features and/or the original menu onto DVD recordable media or your hard–disk
* Newly improved transcoder: Better picture quality at high reduction rates (footage of more than two hours)
* Impressive speed at high reduction rates
* Video Preview shows an overview of all selectable DVD titles
* Include or exclude the original menu
* Visual quality control through quality bars during the title and language selection
* Target size freely adjustable
* Chapter trimming/splitting available
* Very easy to use: Our unique Filmstrip assistant will guide you step–by–step through all settings— easy for beginners
* Preferences: Memorizes the last settings that were used and uses those settings in future sessions
* Layer break flag removal possible
* Picture snapshots while transcoding and remixing
* Real–time bitrate and frame statistics while transcoding
* Logging window available
* Preview the movie during transcoding and writing
* Works with most DVD player hardware and software
* Works with DVD–R/RW and DVD+R/RW media
* Stable, fast and does not require an ASPI driver

I just wish I understood what the problem is - like a specific codec, or a feature that must be clicked on or off to make this complete for playing in the Denon player.

[QUOTE=reisman;2265143]I just wish I understood what the problem is - like a specific codec, or a feature that must be clicked on or off to make this complete for playing in the Denon player.[/QUOTE]

This sounds more like a very bad quality player…get a better standalone dvd player unit and forget about the Denon…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2260716]No software is better then another software its what feature your looking for and what each has to offer to you whether paid or free. But if you think it does burn better then you should provide supporting information as such without that opinion is a opinion.[/QUOTE]

First, I’m eternally grateful to the folks responsible for Clone DVD and no doubt it was money well spent to transcode and/or rip DVD’s to the hard drive. I recommend it to friends for that purpose :iagree:. And for burns to high-quality DVD-R media, its likely to do just fine. But burn quality scans of the same media burned w/ Clone vs Imgburn or Nero most always had Clone yielding at least slightly poorer burns. A friend with different burners found the same results. And Clone coastered every DL I tried to burn with it. Same files burned fine to DL w/ Imgburn.
For the features I bought CloneDVD for, I certainly got my money’s worth, and then some :clap:. Don’t mind firing up another program for burning one bit :).

I just tried it with a CD+R - same Result. Just wish I could get these 2 foreign films, originally gotten from AVI files, with subtitles to load and play in my stand alone machine.

[QUOTE=reisman;2272485]I just tried it with a CD+R - same Result. Just wish I could get these 2 foreign films, originally gotten from AVI files, with subtitles to load and play in my stand alone machine.[/QUOTE]
Wish I could help you find that glitch. You don’t easily just replace a Denon :disagree:. Have you tried any other authoring software like DVD Flick?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2267935]First, I’m eternally grateful to the folks responsible for Clone DVD and no doubt it was money well spent to transcode and/or rip DVD’s to the hard drive. I recommend it to friends for that purpose :iagree:. And for burns to high-quality DVD-R media, its likely to do just fine. Clone coastered every DL I tried to burn with it. Same files burned fine to DL w/ Imgburn.
For the features I bought CloneDVD for, I certainly got my money’s worth, and then some :clap:…[/QUOTE]
Felt it was important to revisit this post and correct my error :o. Seems I missed the most recent update to cloneDVD2. The newest version is burning my DL’s quite nicely, thank you :flower:. Didn’t want to leave misinformation lying about like that. Especially regarding software as good as CloneDVD2 .