Burned DVD\'s coming out glitchy (Lite-On LH-20A1H)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-20A1H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello, My name is John. I have a new issue. I have a Hitachi camcorder (hard drive type, not miniDV tape) that I use to film my kids football games. I then hook the camera to my computer and put the games on DVD discs for the coaches, kids, etc. I use Nerovision4, part of Nero7 Ultra to do this. My burner is a Lite-On LH20A1H. All season long the discs came out perfect in quality, video and sound. Now I am making a “greatest hits” video for the end of the year, and when its all finished and I burn the disc, it has this “glitchy” look to it. Not thru the whole movie, but on and off. Almost looking like its going in fast motion, but not quite, or blur… I have used different discs, Sony DVD+R, Maxell DVD+R, and get the same results with either disc. Here’s the proof that its in the disc burning, not the file…if I “burn” it to my hard drive and not to a disc, then watch it, its perfect. But when I tell it to burn to a disc…it glitches. I have ALOT of time putting this video together, and am running out of time for the big end of the year ceremony to show the vid, can someone please HELP!!
Thank you so much in advance !

John…aka…MichaelMyersLives:bow::bow:

You are taking pieces from the dvds that you have made and putting them together into a highlight film…that is correct? It sounds to me like Nero Vision isn’t doing a good job of stitching the mpeg2 video together when it reencodes.

But if you are convinced that it is in the burning, I’d suggest using Verbatim 16x media, burn it at 8x or 12x, no faster. You can find Verbatim at Best Buy if you are in the US. Try using ImgBurn to burn to disk. It is free, highly recommended, and here is a guide for burning dvd-video files to disk using the program: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4632

If this doesn’t help, then you might want to put them together with a program that can handle mpeg2 better than Nero. I’d suggest Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD, or VideoRedo TV Suite. There are free trials for both.

That’s mostly correct, yes. Here’s how my cam works. When I push record, then push stop, it makes a “clip” on my camera. One game usually consists of about 120 clips. I transfer those clips to my computer and they show up as mpg files. In Nero, I take those mpg files and put them together to make a DVD. When I only put those clips together to make a DVD for one specific game, it turns out perfect. I save the big hits and big plays clips to my hard drive and later put them together for the highlight reel. That’s when it gets the glitchy part. Weird, eh?
I’m gonna try the Verbatim DVD’s, I see that alot of people are recommending to use those. I’ll also try the program you suggested, IMGBurn, since when I burn to my hard drive on my computer and watch the “vob” file, the video is perfect. I hope that works!

Thank you very much for your help, I’ll let you know how this turns out.

John :iagree:

Well, I tried using the Verbatim disc, and the ImgBurn program, but still have the same results. What gets me is, when I "burn " it to my computer and watch it, it looks perfect! No glitching! But when I put that same copy on a disc, the glitching is there. UGH!!! I don’t have time to redo the whole thing…I only have a few days to burn a bunch of copies. I’ll have to scrap Nero in the future, but I think this time I’m screwed!

Thanks for your efforts anyways.

John

If your “greatest hits” compilation play fine on your computer, than I would not blame Nero Vision.
Use better disc (Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden) and use ImgBurn to burn.

Maybe you are burning too quickly. Try to slow down a little the burning speed. Try also to update the firmware, often this improve burning quality :slight_smile:

I really don’t like Nero Vision for working with video. And working with mpeg2 is problematic anyway, so next time try the VideoRedo or Womble programs if editing mpeg2.

Looks like going to Verbatim + Imgburn wasn’t a solution CDuncle. Didn’t tell us his burning speed though.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2160103]I really don’t like Nero Vision for working with video. And working with mpeg2 is problematic anyway, so next time try the VideoRedo or Womble programs if editing mpeg2.

Looks like going to Verbatim + Imgburn wasn’t a solution CDuncle. Didn’t tell us his burning speed though.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on mpeg editors.
Misread Verbatime+ImgBurn combination.
Mind you, I had a problem with Verb2.4x DVD, 8x were fine. Now use TY only.

I had Verbatim 8X discs so I tried one with that, burning at 4X speed. That didn’t do the trick. I just tried something, and I don’t know why, but I think it worked. I took the same VOB file that I watch on the computer (that plays perfect) and used Windows Movie Maker on a Vista machine, just drag and dropped it, and it seems to play just fine with no glitching using the same DVD player that with the original Nerovision disc, and the ImgBurn disc both had glitching.
Does this make sense to you?
I believe it has a small amount of video/audio quality loss, but not enough to notice compared to the glitching issue.

Its not the way I want it, I didn’t bring the menu picture and audio to work with me to do this, but I only live 5 min from work, and will go home and get them to try the full effect.

Thank you very much for your help, and I’ll let you know if this actually works.

John :cool:

OK…
Taking the VOB file that burns to the hard drive, and using a different computer (mine is XP Pro) with Vista, using Windows Movie Maker, the glitch is gone. I will continue to use Verbatim discs, In fact I’m on my way to Sam’s to buy another 100 pack…I have to make 75 copies of this video!

I think from now on I will not use Nero to make my “greatest hits” dvd’s. Can anyone suggest the best program to use? Or at lease one that will work good! My camcorder makes clips that are mpg, and Kerry56 recommended VideoRedo or Womble, I have never heard of either of them but I’m willing to give it a try…can’t be any worse that what I just went thru, thats for sure.

Thanks all! I appreciate your help :iagree::iagree::bow::bow:

The two I recommended are built to work with mpeg2 primarily. If you want a more versatile editor that can still do well with mpeg files, you might want to look at Adobe Premiere Elements, or Corel Video Studio Pro X2.

Something just doesn’t make sense. I use Nero Vision 4.9.7.6 for certain projects and have found it to be a decent program. Are you maybe overloading Nero causing it to have to re-encode?

I’ve used it with previously prepared videos from various sources and have no problems. Here’s a quick shot of a few clips (un-merged). Encoding was originally done with a combination of QUenc, HCenc, Nero Vision, and ConvertX.

Here’s the complete ‘Details’. Note[B] no [/B]encoding will be done (100%)

[I]Audio format: Automatic
Sample format: Automatic
Encoding mode: High Quality (2-Pass VBR)
Nero SmartEncoding: Automatic

Number of titles: 7

1. Alina When you Leave basshunterCXD (Video Title, 0h 03m 16s)
  • Audio SmartEncoding ratio: 100.0 %
  • Video SmartEncoding ratio: 100.0 %
  1. Armond Van Held Shake that ass (Video Title, 0h 03m 25s)
  1. Britney Womanizer (Video Title, 0h 03m 45s)
  1. Buy now body crashHC (Video Title, 0h 02m 37s)
  1. Willa Ford I wanna be bad CXD (Video Title, 0h 03m 10s)
  1. Skreatch and joe Milkshake (Video Title, 0h 03m 12s)
  1. VTS_01_1 (Video Title, 0h 12m 54s)

Number of menus: 1

• Main menu (2 pages)[/I]

I just went back, merged them all, then under Edit I added ‘Random Transitions’. And under Chapters had it automatically add them for each vid. Its now one titleset. Here’s the new Details.

[I]Audio format: Automatic
Sample format: Automatic
Encoding mode: High Quality (2-Pass VBR)
Nero SmartEncoding: Automatic

Number of titles: 1

1. Alina When you Leave basshunterCXD (Video Title, 0h 32m 05s, 7 chapters)
  • Audio SmartEncoding ratio: 87.4 %
  • [B]Video SmartEncoding ratio: 97.8 %[/B]

Number of menus: 1

• Menu for Alina When you Leave basshunterCXD (2 pages)[/I]

Nero Vision will now be re-encoding 2.2% of the project, [B] only[/B] the transitions and chapter points.

I’ve also grabbed VOBs from my Shadow Dancers DVDs and used them to create promo/ad videos. Trimming and adding various fancy Text Effects and Transitions every so often during the vid ( daily specials etc.). Again Nero Vision only drops out of the ‘Smart Encoding’ mode when these additions occur.

I don’t mean to ramble but it often seems Nero Vision gets a bad rap, always re-encodes etc.

If your clips have to be converted to DVD compliant mpegs Womble MPEG Video Wizard is not a good choice. With already compliant mpegs it works well (I like the audio normalization function, with Nero you have to go by feel)) and provides better trimming than Nero, but the Menus are rudimentary and often problematic.

Rather than going through Windows Movie Maker, if no editing is required, you might find that ConvertXtoDVD 3 will produce a nice DVD with a large and decent, motion Menu choice.