Burned DVD -R won't read on my laptop

vbimport

Hi, I just bought a memorex 16x DL DVD Burner and successfully burned a DVD. However, when i try accessing the DVD through my QSI SBW-241 CDRW/DVD Combo, i have trouble reading it. I had problems in the past with the drive not reading DVD’s well but i was just curious on how i can burn a DVD so that my laptop would be able to read it. My Memorex reads the DVD perfectly. Should I try higher quality media (cause i’m just using no name brand right now)

What kind of media do you use? Also you can crossflash your drive to the latest liteon Firmware. What is exactly your memorex type.
If you are using +R media, try bittseting it to DVDROM!

As i mentioned before, i’m just using 4.7GB DVD -R no name brand (the kind you get in a spindle). The thing is, there’s nothing wrong with my burner, i know that for sure. It’s my QSI SBW-241 Combo drive that’s the real problem. It’s very fussy. Any small scratch and it takes forever to read it. The combo drive is updated to it’s latest firmware. I just need to find a way so that when i burn DVD’s my QSI SBW-241 will read it.

Are you sure that the QSI SBW-241 CDRW/DVD Combo can read DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW ??

Not every drive is capable, it may have full support for CD-R/RW, but only be able to read commercial/pressed DVD’s.

These drives can be a real pain. I wouldn’t be that sure that they are capable of reading DVD±R/RW media at all.

I used nero Infotool and it says that my dvd combo drive should be able to read all formats of DVD Media.

And that really PROVES nothing.

My CDRW/DVD-ROM combo in my Toshiba lap top has never been able to read any burnt DVD -R or +R and believe me I have tried many types of media. Even though VSO Inspector says it will!! If I am travelling I just rip a few DVD’s onto my hard drive.

The info tools like Infotool displaying about the capabilities of a optical drive coming directly from the firmware. This info is directly from the manufacturer and must’nt really be correct + true.
Sad, but true.

As for +R media, there is the chance of “cheating” the reading drive when using bitsetted (to DVD-ROM) media. :wink:

[QUOTE=leinad37;1091164]Hi, I just bought a memorex 16x DL DVD Burner and successfully burned a DVD. However, when i try accessing the DVD through my QSI SBW-241 CDRW/DVD Combo, i have trouble reading it. I had problems in the past with the drive not reading DVD’s well but i was just curious on how i can burn a DVD so that my laptop would be able to read it. My Memorex reads the DVD perfectly. Should I try higher quality media (cause i’m just using no name brand right now)[/QUOTE]
:cool: dear friend ,
I spent about 3 weeks marvelling at mt HP laptop refusing to read the dvd+R I just burnt on the laptop. It looked like the DVD+R was burned correctly, but there was absolutely no sign of life once i popped the burnt dvd into the laptop. I visited all kinds of Computer gurus, they all had an explanation, from weird to bizarre . . . At the end of the day, in this case after 3 weeks, I simply tried a different approach, I exchanged the dvd+R to a DVD +RW and
voila the problem was solved. Although the laptop had doen a good job buring DVD+R for more than 2 years, it
simply stopped doing it from 1 day to the next . . . . . . I still
do not know the reason , but changing the type of dvd to be burned solved the case . . .

Hope I c ould help you

walter