Burned DVD plays on PC but not in player

I just purchased & installed DVDFab Platinum on a Vista PC. The DVD copied OK to my hard drive and then I burned it with Nero.

It plays fine on my PC but will not start in my DVD player.

I was previously using DVD Shrink and never had this problem.

What could be be wrong?

Thanks.

[quote=terrykiwi;2132524]I just purchased & installed DVDFab Platinum on a Vista PC. The DVD copied OK to my hard drive and then I burned it with Nero.

It plays fine on my PC but will not start in my DVD player.

I was previously using DVD Shrink and never had this problem.

What could be be wrong?

Thanks.[/quote]
Greetings terrykiwi
Did you use DVDFab Platinum just to rip the file to your HDD then opened Nero to burn the file to disc, or did you use the nero burn engine within DVDFab Platinum ?
You can selete between the VSO burn engine (default), Nero burning-rom or ImgBurn (a better choice).
If you are using +R media you may have to booktype it to dvd-rom

BTW…Welcome to club CD Freaks and also the world of DVDFab

This thread needs to be in the DVDFab section…hey yo Mike you still have that UHAUL handy

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2132556]This thread needs to be in the DVDFab section…hey yo Mike you still have that UHAUL handy[/QUOTE]Sure do: just for you, SJ :wink:

(moved to DVD Fab)

Hi Stormjumper.

I originally attempted the rip/burn using DVDFab’s internal burn engine, but that failed with an error message. So then I just ripped it directly to the hard drive. I used Nero as a second step. The discs are Verbatim -R.

terrykiwi Welcome to CDFreaks

Which version of DVDfab Plat do you have?
I use imgburn as the burner myself.

I downloaded the latest just yesterday - Platinum 5.0.9.0

So do you think the issue might be with Nero?

[quote=terrykiwi;2132779]Hi Stormjumper.

I originally attempted the rip/burn using DVDFab’s internal burn engine, but that failed with an error message. So then I just ripped it directly to the hard drive. I used Nero as a second step. The discs are Verbatim -R.[/quote]Please give details on the error message if you can remember it. Also, a burn log would be helpful. Use windows search to find the file [B]dvdfab_burn_vso.log[/B]. Open it with Notepad and see if you can find the failure you mentioned. Copy and paste it into a post.

terrykiwi;2132785]I downloaded the latest just yesterday - Platinum 5.0.9.0

Newest is 5.0.9.8

So do you think the issue might be with Nero?

Possiblely, I use imgburn myself but others are using Nero with success

The burn log is very helpfull once you post it, it will tell us more.

No log file was found.

Is there a setting somewhere to switch logging on?

[QUOTE=terrykiwi;2132803]Is there a setting somewhere to switch logging on?[/QUOTE]

Log file is turned on by default
Try in: My documets\DVDfab\log

I found the log file - attached. See if you can find the error in there…

[QUOTE=terrykiwi;2132838]I found the log file - attached. See if you can find the error in there…[/QUOTE]

terrykiwi

No log file present please Copy paste again, Thanks

The upload didn’t like the .log extension, so I added the .txt

Here it is…

dvdfab_burn_vso.log.txt (36.5 KB)

If the ripped file plays fine on your PC, then it would be the Nero burn log that is recquired or your standalone just doesn’t like Dvd-R.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2133681]If the ripped file plays fine on your PC, then it would be the Nero burn log that is recquired or your standalone just doesn’t like Dvd-R.[/QUOTE]

Some standalones are pickie about what they read.And the nero log would be the right one to look at since it did the burning.

As beef suggested, since you burned with nero, we would need the nero burn log. It’s contained in the same folder…just follow the file path:
[B]C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B]

I’m guessing you’re still using the default settings.
In Common Settings > Please change Write Type from Packet writing to [B]SAO[/B]

Could you try a burn with VSO or Img with the above change?
VSO is already installed with Platinum.

Hi,

DVDFab is a cool piece of software and I have been using since 3.2.1.0. However I have started to notice I am getting similar probems as the OP.

Place backed up DVD movie in my Standalone DVD Player. It seems to read the DVD for some time then then report Disc Error. I eject and re-load the dvd and it reads 2nd time around however things seem ok for about 30 mins and the dvd skips as if scratched.

The media is Memorex DVD+R (CMC MAG M01) using LG GSA-H22N 1.02 and burning using VSO Burning Engine

I will look at changing the following:
Burning Engine to ImgBurn
Write Type to SAO (What does this mean?, sorry I tend to used default settings :wink: )

Please advise and will post my findings in a few days.

Regards,
Darren

The new versions (any later than 5.0.7.2) of DVDFab should choose SAO automatically if you have VSO burning engine selected.

I get no audio only after I burn the video files…on my pc the audio plays fine…Once I burn I loose the audio…I made sure to have all the audio tracks added in Nero…and when I play the dvd on my pc I get audio only on my standalone dvd player is there no audio on my disk…WHY IS THAT?