Burned DVD - Player, Burning, or Media Problem?

I just attempted my first foray into burning dvd’s and I have a problem, but I’m not sure what the cause is and therefore, I don’t know what I should do to try to fix it.

When I popped in the newly burned dvd into the dvd player, it started playing just fine. I didn’t run into any problems until well into the playback. (A little bit past 2/3 of the way through.) Then the picture would freeze or pixelate a bit and the audio would go out of sync.

It doesn’t happen in the exact same spot every time, just around the same general spot and for the rest of the disc. It also plays just fine on my computer.

I used Verbatim DVD+R for the media. DVDFlick to create an .iso and used CDBurnerXP to burn the .iso. Maybe a little redundant, but I wanted to check it out before before I actually burned it.

I did not change the booktype. I didn’t know how at the time and not entirely sure I know how now.

I also burned it at 16x. Not sure if this makes a difference these days, everything I found that related to burning at lower speeds was all from like 2001-2003.

The DVD player is a Pioneer DVL-700. Yes, it’s ancient.

So what is the most likely culprit and what can I do about it?

This sounds like a problem in the burn itself. Which dvd burner did you use? Do you have the latest firmware for the burner?

Try slowing down your burning speed to 8x and see if that solves the problem.

It’s a Samsung SH-S203N. It was using the SB01 firmware. I upgraded the firmware to the latest yesterday but haven’t yet tried it.

Ok, I’ll try lowering the burn speed and see if that does anything.

Yup, lowering the burn speed fixed it.

Thanks for the help. :slight_smile: