Burned DVD movies looping last scene

vbimport

Hello all. I’m new to this group and not a very tech-savvy person so I’m wondering if anyone can help with a problem by explaining as if to a 10-year old.

In the past I’ve had no problems burning DVDs, but my old PC died and I just had a new one built. Here are the hardware and software specs:

-ASUS Striker II Formula motherboard
-Samsung SH203N SATA burner
-Sony NEC AD 7190S SATA burner
-Samsung SH202J IDE burner
-Windows XP
-DVD Shrink
-DVD Decrypter
-RipIt4Me
-Nero 8
-AnyDVD

I use DVD Shrink/Nero, DVD Decrypter, or RipIt4Me to burn with AnyDVD running in the background. Since I’ve gotten the new PC, when I copy an original DVD, the burning programs run fine (i.e. they don’t report any errors ripping or burning), but when I pop the copies into my (standalone) DVD player it will immediately go to the last scene of the movie and loop it. Menus and the rest of the movie are inaccessible. I’ve tried on both my OPPO DVD players (they’ll usually play almost anything that’s on a disc), and tried burning using all three of the programs mentioned above, with the same result.

This only seems to happen when I try to copy original DVDs. Copies
of copies work fine.

I use Verbatim or TDK 16X media and burn at 12X or 8X (both burners
are 20X).

Also - when I got the motherboard, the guy from the store (who recommended the whole setup) had to come back several times because
the blue screen of death kept popping up. Turns out the motherboard
had issues with SATA optical drives using the included drivers, and he had to reinstall Windows XP with different drivers. Everything else works fine now on the PC, I play games and music on it without any problems, and there’s no more BSOD.

I thought maybe the problem was caused by some remnant of this
SATA optical drive issue, although there’s no more crashes, but even using the IDE burner to burn I get the same loopy copy, and as I mentioned before copies of copies work fine.

Anyone out there know what’s causing this problem?

I’d appreciate any assistance.

First I think you have too many rippers running at the same time.
Do not burn with AnyDVD, try ImgBurn(free-donation if you want)
Try to rip with RipIt first, if that does not work, turn on AnyDVD. Otherwise keep AnyDVD turned off.
Rip to HD and play your rip first in a software player, to see everything is OK.
Then you can see if it is your burner or other thing.

In addition to the good advice already given, you may want to try using +R format blank media (if you aren’t already) and booktyping to DVD-ROM.

Some players can be a bit picky about the blank media format.

Hi. Thanks for the reply, but I’m not quite sure I follow what you mean
by running too many rippers at the same time?

I always try DVD Shrink first with dual-layer original DVDs since it’s the simplest program I have that’ll compress a movie to fit on a 4.7GB blank. I usually have AnyDVD running in the background since most of the movies I get are from Korea (region 3) or Japan (region 2), and AnyDVD removes the region coding. DVD Shrink rips, and it’s paired with Nero 8 to burn. I never use AnyDVD to actually burn.

If DVD Shrink doesn’t work, I use DVD Decrypter (file mode), then open
those decrypted files with DVD Shrink which automatically uses Nero to
burn. AnyDVD is on during the whole process, again because of the
region coding.

If neither DVD Shrink by itself or with Decrypter doesn’t rip, I then try RipIt4Me (which won’t run simultaneously with AnyDVD, so I have to exit AnyDVD). RipIt4Me uses DVD Decrypter to rip, DVD Shrink to compress,
and then Nero burns…

Sometimes, the disc I burn will play on the PC with PowerDVD, but doesn’t work in standalone DVD players (it’s definitely not my player
that’s not working because I’ve tried these copies that loop on several
other standalones of different brands and they all do the same)…

All the procedures above worked perfectly fine on my old PC, so I know
it has something to do with my new machine - I’m just looking for help
from anyone who might know what the problem with the new computer could be…

Yeah good advise from above posters…Start by ripping to HDD first and play from PC (as suggested), if all’s well then it’s most likely a burn issue…And IMO, stay away from TDK’s…Also the rip proggies mentioned with (ANYDVD being the exception) are no longer updated,try DVDFab …If ANYDVD is working properly for you then I would recommend burning with IMGBurn not Ner0,again JMHO!..
good luck!.

Thanks for that advice too, but I’m pretty sure it’s not a DVD-R/DVD+R issue. My Oppo DVD player will play pretty much anything on CD or DVD-/+R you stick in it, and most of the burned
stuff I have is on DVD-R - player plays them fine.

Don’t think it’s that the burners are being picky either, since they burn copies of copies perfectly fine on DVD-R - problems only happen when I’m ripping an original DVD…

So if you rip full movie to HDD first >play using your media player…is all ok?

[quote=t0nee1;2039786]Yeah good advise from above posters…Start by ripping to HDD first and play from PC (as suggested), if all’s well then it’s most likely a burn issue…And IMO, stay away from TDK’s…Also the rip proggies mentioned with (ANYDVD being the exception) are no longer updated,try DVDFab …If ANYDVD is working properly for you then I would recommend burning with IMGBurn not Ner0,again JMHO!..
good luck!.[/quote]

I was thinking it might be a bad batch of TDKs I got (never had problems
with them before), but I was able to copy the same movies that were
giving me trouble at home on my work PC (on the discs from the same batch of TDKs) and they work just fine.

I’m going to try ripping and playing from HDD when I get back home and
see what happens. I’ll also try DVDFab and IMGBurn. Hope one of these
programs works!

Good luck and let us Know… BTW DVDFAB HD Decrypter (free) DVDFab Platinum/Gold (30 day free trial), IMGburn (free), you won’t regret it…:slight_smile:

^^Agree completely.

Dvd Shrink if neccessary, is also freeware!

Burn On!

OK, got home and ripped one of the movies (Punch Lady, Region 2 DVD)
that was giving me trouble to the hard drive. It plays fine with PowerDVD,
so it looks like it is a burning issue as I thought.

Before I download DVDFab HD Decrypter or DVDFab Platinum, do these
programs shrink from 9GB to 4.7GB? About 90% of the copying I do
requires this, but I don’t see this feature in the software notes. With DVD
Fab Platinum it seems you can only do 4.7GB to 4.7GB copies, or 9GB to
2 4.7 discs. Not something I really want to do.

Again, thanks everyone for all the help.

If you want good compressing tool, try DVD Rebuilder. Pro version is not free, but well worth $30 it cost. Regular version is free.
Than burn with ImgBurn.
You do not need AnyDVD to run after you rip to HD. All protection and region is gone, that goes for all other rippers you have also.

Well guys, I ripped a DVD I was having with using DVD Shrink, saving to hard drive. It played fine on PowerDVD, so I burned using IMGBurn, and it seems to play fine on my OPPO standalone player.

I’m going to look into the other programs recommended, but for now I’ve got a working solution.

Thanks everyone!!!

Glad to hear you got it sorted out…And for your ? regarding Fab,
"Before I download DVDFab HD Decrypter or DVDFab Platinum, do these
programs shrink from 9GB to 4.7GB? "…
Yes! and it gets updated frequently,unlike shrink ,which I love and use by BTW…Also have and use DVDRB Pro. and occassionally the free DVDRB…what ever works right?..
Cheers!

[quote=rokutanda;2039954]Well guys, I ripped a DVD I was having with using DVD Shrink, saving to hard drive. It played fine on PowerDVD, so I burned using IMGBurn, and it seems to play fine on my OPPO standalone player.

I’m going to look into the other programs recommended, but for now I’ve got a working solution.

Thanks everyone!!![/quote]

Glad everything worked for you! The more you do it, the more you learn and the more you’re able to experiment with what works best for, then you’re in a grand position to share that knowledge.

Rip, burn, and conqer!