Burned Data DVD but can't access files - now what?

vbimport

Drive: NEC 3540a
Software: CDBurnerXP Pro 3

I was backing up data onto a DVD today... I did not check off the box that said finalize disc and now I can not access the data.

Am I screwed?!?!? :confused:

What can I do?? I know the data is there cause I can see that the dvd has been burned by looking at the back of the dics.. Nothing shows when I try to access it on my pc.

Thanks!!

-R

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Finalizing the disc only means the session is closed and you can not burn any more data on the same DVD, it has nothing to do with you not being able to access the burned data. Actually, it is better for compatability reasons) to always finalize the disc.

Now, what exactly do you mean by saying you can not access the data? When you put the disc into the drive does it read anything? Does it say the disc is blank? Have you tried reading the disc in another drive?

I only have one dvd drive, so I haven’t tried another drive.

I burned three disks… One I finalized, and I can access the file via windows explorer. The other two I can not. When I put the dics in the drive windows sees them as ready to be written to discs. The one shows as being half-full… about. The other shows as empty.

If I put the dvd in when I have CDBurnerXP Pro running, it pops open a box and asks if I wanna import the session… I click yes, and then it says only ISO and jolet (sp?) can be imported, but if I go to the disc info thing, it reads the disc and says its ISO (I think that’s what it says) so I’m not sure why it’s not importing it.

I downloaded and installed Nero to see if maybe that would read it, but no help there. :frowning:

Argh… this really stinks.

-R

If you’ve not done it then it’s probably best to disable the Windows CD/DVD burner. Uncheck “Enable CD recording on this drive”. That’s My Computer, right click on burner & properties->Recording.

Alright… I just disabled that.

Have you tried to acess the disc with isobuster. You can get a free download on the net.

can you tell if a cd has been burned by looking at the cd disk?

can you tell if a cd has been burned by looking at the cd disk?

Generally yes, there will be some change in the appearance of the dye(s) but that’s no indication it has been burned properly.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2478222]Generally yes, there will be some change in the appearance of the dye(s) but that’s no indication it has been burned properly.[/QUOTE]
thx my friend for re-plying, my childhood best friend and me have had some controversy on this matter, only i am still not convienced that you can see if a cd has been burned or not,please help. again thx,merry x-mas to you.

Here’s a photo of a CD that was burned about half full. You can see the burned part (from the hub to halfway out) looks different.