Burned Cd's skip towards end

Hey,
Total newbie here…I have a problem when I am burning cd’s… I use Nero 5 and it had worked fine for about 6 months using Memorex 48x CD-R’s…all of the cd’s I try to burn now start out sounding perfect but as I get about 2/3 or 3/4 through the cd, it starts to skip…just a little at first and then it becomes more frequent as I get towards the end…I have tried somewhat lower burning speeds (32x), and not filling the disks up as full, but still wind up with the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated…personally I suspect I have a problem with the actual drive but I want to know from someone who knows more than I do on the subject.

Thanks again,
JayDogg2003

This could be poor media or a bad batch of media, as the problem you are describing is a common one if you are using cheap discs. Try burning at 4x and see if the problem persists also are these a new batch of discs that this is now happening with? and also what make/model of drive do you have?

I had that problem at some point. The problem turned out to be that my hd needed to be defragged. I’m not sure why that made a difference but after much research I found that solution in a forum and it worked.

Thanx for letting us know noname5 :slight_smile:

Originally posted by noname5
I had that problem at some point. The problem turned out to be that my hd needed to be defragged. I’m not sure why that made a difference but after much research I found that solution in a forum and it worked.

I hear this defrag issue again and again more lately. Frankly I agree with it but you really do need to check your not burning crap media as well.

On the defrag end, I’m kinda a noob to burning dvd,but not cd-r or pc’s for that matter…been building them close to 10 years now…and hdd optimization is pretty damn important. What strikes me odd…is why many vendors are shipping clone boxes pre-installed with xp-home or xp-pro, on a fat32 partition. To me this seems odd as hell, and makes the defrag problem worse.

My ex brother in law called me over for help the other day…pent4 3ghz…512ddr 80 gig hard drive,xp-pro, he has to defrag after ever rip or capture to burn. Factory new Systemax box, no mods…xp on fat32…I don’t get it.

Sorry for the long post, and if you’ve read this far…sorry to digress…but if your on fat32…you may wish to consider getting off it and on to ntfs…some other advantages as well…:slight_smile: