Burned CDs player-compatibility problems

Hope someone out there can help me. I have a LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H with firmware LL06. When I burn CDs on this drive (I have tried Philips, Verbatim, TDK Music) a friend of mine can’t play them on 2 of her 3 older players, but she has no problem when I burn them on a different computer with a different LITE-ON drive (sorry I’m not in front of that one now so I don’t know which model it is.) Point being, I need THIS drive to burn compatible audio cds. Do I need newer firmware? I am burning them on the slowest speed it will allow. I would just like to have the broadest compatibility when burning cds on this drive, as I distribute them to several people.

Upgrade the firmware to LLOC.

Ok, glad to hear there is a fix for this. I am newbie at this… I know where to download the LLOC firmware, and I know doing it wrong can damage the drive and that once it starts upgrading I can’t touch anything. Can you give me a quick step-by-step guide? Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I need to get this done ASAP. BTW I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.

Ok, I upgraded the burner firmware to LLOC and rebooted. I burned another audio CD for the person who had compatibility issues. The same thing still happened, her player wouldn’t recognize the disc and it just froze up. The same player recognizes discs from my other 2 burners. This shocked me, as I thought that the firmware upgrade would help. What is going on here and what else can I try?

#1 - Use high quality blank CD-R media (not media sold for “music”).
#2 - Burn at the slowest speed possible (16x or less).

This combination usually produces good results. :slight_smile:

superhero

Yes, thank you, I HAVE been using high quality blanks (both for music and not for music, I have tried MANY brands) and am already burning on slowest speed. This burner just cannot burn compatible cds for certain machines.

You have probably figured the problem out by now. If you use Nero, it has a Burn a music cd [that will play on any cd player] button and a Make an Mp3 cd button[which is burned in Mp3 format. You want to burn in .cda format. Thats what cd players home and car read. But I have no idea of what burning program you use. But your end result should be .cda files. Most new cd players can play mp3 but not all. .CDA is pretty across the board.

No, I haven’t figured it out yet, so if someone else can help me… of course I am making .cda files. I am not using Nero, but I am using Sonic RecordNow which has the same options for mp3 cd or music cd, I know what I am doing. I have also tried Windows Media Player. The problem is not the program, but the BURNER. My other burner on this same computer (a Sony burner) and also a Lite-On burner on a different computer are burning cds that the person in question has no problems with on her player. My question is why doesn’t THIS burner, with updated firmware and everything, burn consistently compatible cds??

[QUOTE=Zappaboss;1932343]You have probably figured the problem out by now. If you use Nero, it has a Burn a music cd [that will play on any cd player] button and a Make an Mp3 cd button[which is burned in Mp3 format. You want to burn in .cda format. Thats what cd players home and car read. But I have no idea of what burning program you use. But your end result should be .cda files. Most new cd players can play mp3 but not all. .CDA is pretty across the board. [/QUOTE]