Burned CDs don't work in all CD players

This is my first post to this forum. I’ve scanned the Newbie forum looking for a similar thread, but haven’t been able to find it. I apologise if I’ve not looked hard enough.

I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that a burned CD will not necessarily work in all CD players, and that it all depends on things like burn speed, other software running at the time the CD is burned, the quality of the CD itself, and the age or type of player. I never realised this until recently - and it’s left me profoundly irritated.

I have two CD burners. One is a Sony CRX220A1 in my PC which runs Windows 98SE (I tend to use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab software to burn CDs). The other which came with my iBook G4. I also have a supply of unbranded plain CDs which I bought in bulk some time ago - I have no idea who might have made them. Each computer plays the ‘other’s’ CDs fine, as does the Sony micro hi-fi upstairs. The Sony micro hi-fi downstairs, which is a few years older, struggles with certain CDs burned in one or the other machine, though strangely not all of them. So does the CD player in my father’s car. They may play a few tracks perfectly well, or they may start skipping or jumping within seconds of the disc being inserted. The Sony player downstairs also has the profoundly annoying habit of making certain discs sound as if they’re a weak radio signal, sort of fluttering in and out.

If I’m not mistaken, the advice which seems to be presented here to correct such problems is “keep trying different brands of discs until you find something that works”. I’m not sure I can afford to do that. I’ve already slowed the burn speed down to 1X - I don’t mind waiting hours for the CD to burn if I can be certain it will work in all my players - but this still doesn’t seem to help.

I don’t suppose there’s much more I can do, is there - short of ditching the hi-fi downstairs and asking my father to buy a newer car?

Try some quality CD-R media. It solved this sort of problem for me.

I’ve found Verbatim Pastels & Super AZO are the best (for me anyway). The Super AZo are usually available locally in 10 packs so you don’t lose too much if they don’t help.

I’ve not found that burn speed matters too much but restrict to 24x to start with.

Thanks for your advice.

Quality of the media is king on this for alot of picky cd players. Both brands mentioned above should give great results. Also, keep in mind that car cd players are particularly nasty about playing burned cd’s reliably, try burning the same cd twice on the same media at different speeds to see what gets you the best results, 1 at near max speed, 1 at half that.

Personally, I use EAC and nero as a my combo to rip and burn audio discs, and love it. :slight_smile:

While we are on the subject, don’t spend an extra dime for a pack of cd-r’s just because they say they are rated “audio cd-r”. These buy you nothing extra if you are using a computer to burn your disc. They only matter if you invested a few years ago in a standalone cd burner for your home theater.

Thanks for this. Am I being silly to think that my Sony CD burner might prefer Sony CDs? Or isn’t it as simple as that?

No it’s not as simple as that.

I’ve found that the Verbatim CD-R I’ve suggested are better than the Sony media. The Sony burner is probably just a rebadged something or other so don’t get sucked in by the brand name.

I’ve ordered some Verbatim Super AZOs. I’ll post the results here, as I know how eagerly the world is waiting for them.

TimC, your suggestion worked a treat. The Verbatims seem to work fine on all my CD-playing equipment. Thanks!

Excellent. More commission for me from Verbatim - I wish.