Burn4free or Ashampoo Free? Others?

vbimport

I’m looking to replace my aging Nero 6. Upgrading is too expensive and Nero has turned into a bit of bloatware.

So I’m looking for a freeware burning application that can offer a nice user interface for making data DVD/CD (IMGburn is a bit lacking here, file selection and fitting on a DVD is cumbersome), good support for various ISO/UDF formats, can make excellent VideoDVD, AudioCD and other formats (i.e. no compatibility issues, must follow the official specs).

DVDaudio support would be extraordinary, but I doubt I’ll find this in a freeware app.

Nice extras would be burning audio/mp3 CDs from wav/mp3/flac source without need of other tools.

Must have good support for various burners and media, resulting in excellent burn quality, like IMGburn or Nero can produce.

Which tool can you recommend to me?

Moomin

Hi,[quote=Moomin;2038754]Which tool can you recommend to me?
[/quote]why do you want to upgrade from Nero 6? Just because it is old? In my opinion there is no reason to upgrade unless you intend to go the MS Vista route.

ImgBurn is at the moment the most advanced data/video burning tool. Most others, especially Ashampoo, are very basic lacking lots of configuration options.
Have you tried the drag’n’drop method with ImgBurn?

Another free one: CDBurner XP Pro.

Michael

[B]:rolleyes:Express Burn Burning Software[/B]
[B]Burn Audio CDs and Data CDs, DVDs or Blu-ray Discs[/B]

Express Burn is a free CD burning program that lets you create and record audio and data CDs under Windows and Mac OS X.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2039023]Hi,why do you want to upgrade from Nero 6? […]
ImgBurn is at the moment the most advanced data/video burning tool. Most others, especially Ashampoo, are very basic lacking lots of configuration options. Have you tried the drag’n’drop method with ImgBurn?

Another free one: CDBurner XP Pro.[/QUOTE]

Nero is no longer supported, so it really doesn’t know about modern drives, althought that should not really be a problem. It’s also quite bulky, installing lots of stuff I don’t need. Since I’m doing a complete reinstall of one of my systems, I’ve been looking to replace a lot of tools (especially security tools) with better ones, preferably freeware, and if possible XP64 compatible, as that upgrade is planned for the latter half of the year.

IMGburn has indeed a lot of good features, supporting all versions of UDF etc, but the user interface is not really suited for burning files. The file window is too small and cannot be enlarged, the size calculation is annoying, a simple graph bar like Nero has is much more convenient. That’s really all that I can critisize it for, but since I burn lots of those DVDs, IMGburn would really slow me down.

I’ll have a look at CDburner XP Pro and Express Burn. Thanks for the tips!

Edit: Express Burn is payware, though affordable. I’ll look into it later, I prefer freeware now.

Moomin

Hi,[quote=Moomin;2039091]Nero is no longer supported, so it really doesn’t know about modern drives, althought that should not really be a problem.[/quote]This isn’t a problem, indeed, since there is no built-in list of supported drives (as it was with Nero 5.x)

It’s also quite bulky, installing lots of stuff I don’t need.
User defined setup rules :bigsmile:.

IMGburn has indeed a lot of good features, supporting all versions of UDF etc, but the user interface is not really suited for burning files. The file window is too small and cannot be enlarged,
Well, I just open a new explorer Window and drag my files into the ImgBurn file window. This is much nicer than the internal interface to add files :slight_smile:

Michael

Yes, but the overview of your selection is still in that tiny window, a pain to check everything before you burn. And the feedback about the size of the compilation is also annoying. It would help if you could set the size you want (i.e. DVD5) and it would then show the size in MB in red if you go over. Now IMGburn just increases the media size if you go over, friggin’ annoying :slight_smile:

Moomin