Burn speed vs Longevity

I’m curious about whether anyone has tracked longevity of
DVD or CD data vs burn speed. I still don’t trust faster burn
speeds, despite advances in chemistry, and despite using
good quality media (usually TY).

I remember an article about CD-RW drives, making better quality discs at max speed (52x/48x) than at reduced speeds (32x, 24x, 16x, 8x). I don’t have a doubt that DVD discs are manufactured with the same ideals.

I think relating longevity to burn speed could only be done as overgeneralizations… Burn disc at x speed. Test C1/C2 (CD) or PIE/PIF (DVD). Burn same brand at y speed. Test. If x errors are lower than y, burn at speed x. Done!

It’s generally accepted, at least with DVDs, that most people will have the most luck at the rated speed. If you buy a brand new pack of 16x DVDs, your drive probably won’t let you slow down to the baseline 1x (-R) or 2.4x (+R), and burning at the slowest speed available may very well produce more errors than a faster one. So much of it is drive and disc dependent, the only way to figure it out is to do some tests and see what works for you.

Well, so much for my theory, eh? <g>

I’m using Plextor with Taiyo Yuden media. Not sure if anyone has thought
to compile error stats for that combo. Is there a recommended way to
do the tests?

As has always been the case, whether CD or DVD, burn speed is irrelevant. It’s burn quality that you are after. With 16x DVD media, that usually means 8x or higher speed. With 8x media, usually 6x-8x in a 16x burner.

This is why we have quality tests.