Burn speed stuck at 1x?!?!?!

vbimport

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and I have a quick question.

I am in the process of backing up some of my movies using the DVDShrink program together with CopyToDvd and for some reason it will only allow me to burn at 1x speed. When the CopyToDvd program initializes it gives me a choice of 4,8,12, or 16x writing speeds but no matter what i select it still burns at the 1x speed.

I have no idea why it is doing this! It didn’t do it last week and I am using the same media and settings. Do any of you know what is going on?

Hi there,

Provide us a full burn log please.

1- Use quality media
2- You have DMA Enabled ?

http://www.portmac.com/modules.php?name=Check_Enable_DMA

3- Using brand new 16x media, and your burner needs a firmware upgrade ?

I am using brand new Dynex 16x DVD-R media. I havn’t had any problems with it before so I am pretty sure it isn’t the discs.

But the DMA thing, I have no idea what that is. I went to device manager but there are triples of both primary and secondary controllers for the IDE devices. I opened all of them and they all say “DMA When Available” on both device 0 and device 1. But on all of them Device 1 says “Current transfer mode: Not applicable”. What is going on?

Alright here is the burnlog guys

Go to device control and remove ALL those IDE devices.
Then let Windows find and reinstall them.

HI,

Thos MCC03 RG20 a verbatim media, therefore real good quality.

BUT I would not burn at 16x, I would limit my burns to 8x MAX.

I personally burn everything at 4x since my PC runs a whole bunch of stuff in the background (Antivirus, anti spam, firewall etc…) it won’t burn passed 6x anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes suggested above, you need to get DMA activated.

This sounds like good advise to me. Just a few weeks after i purchased my sony dvd rw dw-g120a i experienced a similar problem with only getting 1x burn speeds.

i removed my secondary ide channel, restarted, windows detected my drive, prompted for me to restart for changes to take effect, then my drive was back to normal.

looks like you do need to remove ALL, i am no expert but i do think that having multiples or deveces with ? or ! need to be reinstalled.

Removing all devices is not doing any harm.
Leaving some might still leave problems, in many cases ones that seem to work (no marks on device control) are actually ones that are NOT working, and they are preventing windows from installing proper drivers.

Some systems are not allowing removal of all devices - in those cases removal must be done manually using registry editor. This requires knowledge, so don’t try it unless you know what you are doing… :smiley: