Burn Speed Question

vbimport

Throughout these forums, users frquently state that burning at lower than the rated speeds of the media is preferable for better data transfer (ie fewer errors and coasters). I’m curious as to what users on this forum set their burning speeds. For instance, if you are transferring dats such as photos or other files onto CD-R’s that have a 40x burning capacity and you have a 52x capable burner (or say, a 8x DVD and a 16x capable DVD burner), which speed do you choose for the best results? Do you underburn and if so, how far below the allowed speeds do you underburn (speed not a factor since preservation of data is paramount)?

I burned a gapless audio cd with Burn At Once at 4x which produced gaps in the CD, but when I burned at 24x, it became gapless. That was a bit confusing. This is a bit different than the question above since I wasn’t trying to preserve data for “archival” purposes.

Finally, does Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 allow for speed burning control?

Thanks for the input.

Here’s my opinion based on looking at about 1200 DVD quality scans from BenQ and LG 16x DVD writers. The quality of the burn (as measured by total/maximum correctable error levels) does go down when you exceed a certain speed, however that speed is typically rated speed+4x and the quality doesn’t noticeably (if at all) improve at lower than rated speeds.

I’ve seen plenty of underrated media.

The most notable example is 2.4x-rated CMCMAGR01 that burns rather poorly in BenQ DW1620 at 2.4x (2500+ total PIF) but shows a marked improvement (to 700-1000 total PIF) at 8x.

Some 4x media like RICOHJPNR01, TYG01 and YUDEN000T01 can be reliably burned at 12x in BenQ DW1620. I burn them at 8x because I am trying to be cautious, and they give me excellent results every time. Burning these media at below rated speed would be a waste of time… you can’t improve a burn much past 100-300 total PIFs.

The only example of (slightly) overrated media I’ve encountered was early 16x-rated MCC004 that tends to have somewhat lower errors when burned at 12x.

With good brands (Verbatim, Fujifilm, TDK, Philips, Maxell come to mind) burning at rated speeds is very safe and I’ve seen no need to slow down.

burning at slow speed to assure high quality burn is true most of the time for burning CD-R audio disc, for DVD movie and DVD data, it varies from media to media and burner to burner, so you really have to test it out.

Can a burn make sound out of sync on a video file?

Nope, a “burn” can’t change your data or encoding!
Now whether or not the resulted disc can be read properly by a specific reader is another question…

The reason for my asking this question is that I have an OEM version of Sonic which does not allow burn speed control. I got an OEM version of Roxio 7 and discovered that it also does not have burn speed control. The programs automatically burn at whatever speed the program choses (I don’t know if it is at the fastest possible speed, but it is definately not the slowest). I would like to be sure that my CD’s and DVD’s are not being burned so fast that there more errors. Is this needless worries or should I not trust these programs to burn at the proper speed?