Burn speed issue - ext sony drive and ext hd

vbimport

Hi

Not sure where this should go but am hoping someone can help

I have an external SONY DVD Burner. (16x)

I use copytodvd and imgburn

If i rip a DVD onto my PC and burn to DVD from there everything is fine

If i rip a DVD onto my external Hard-Drive the burn works fine for the first 80% - burn speed gets to about 13x - it then slows and drops to exactly 6x.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Is it something to do with USB power?

Any suggestions would be very welcome…

Thanks

[QUOTE=fowler987;2550341]Hi

Not sure where this should go but am hoping someone can help

I have an external SONY DVD Burner. (16x)

I use copytodvd and imgburn

If i rip a DVD onto my PC and burn to DVD from there everything is fine

If i rip a DVD onto my external Hard-Drive the burn works fine for the first 80% - burn speed gets to about 13x - it then slows and drops to exactly 6x.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Is it something to do with USB power?

Any suggestions would be very welcome…

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi fowler987

Did you set the burn speed within ImgBurn ? if not you may be set to MAX which will burn at the max speed of the drive/burner itself and not the rated speed of the media your using, depending on the quality of your blank media will really depend on the burn speed you use.

If it is low to poor quality media you should never burn faster then 8x or half the rated speed of the media, most playback issues are caused by low to poor quality media and/or burning to fast.

[B]SJ[/B]

Thanks very much.

This isn’t a media issue though.

Burn is perfect from pc.

Slight drop in speed towards end of burn from external HD.

Defo think this is some sort of USB issue…

Any suggestions…??

I would imagine the USB cannot throughput the data fast enough for the burn to complete at maximum speed.

Thanks

Is there a way around this?

I have an externally powered USB hub

Is it possible to change any settings which will prevent the burn from dropping speed at the end?

Hi,

this is a 2.5" HDD? If so, using a powered hub is a good idea anyway. Apart from that, the USB connection IS a bottleneck (which you can’t circumvent).
So either make sure the write speed won’t exceed 8x (perhaps 12x if you like the risk), or copy the data to your internal HDD temporarily before you write them onto a DVD.

Michael

Thanks Michael…:iagree:

I guess i was kinda hoping for some kind of workaround…