Burn set to 32X but ends at 40X ?!?!?!

For some time around 1 out of every 5 TDK CDR media is burned bad.
The burn is supposedly successful, but when I scan the resulting CD with CDSpeed, it shows that till the middle of the CD everything is alright, and then the damaged sectors start (Yellow), and after that unreadable sectors (Red).
I also noticed something strange with the actual writing speed. I’ve enabled the actual burn speed reg hack, and in the last time the burn failed this way, I noticed the Status line showed: Writing at 39.8x (5,975 KB/s), even though the last two lines in the burn process log showed:
Burn process started at 32x (4,800 KB/s)
Burn process completed successfully at 32x (4,800 KB/s)

When the CD came out properly (100% green sectors CDSpeed scan), the burn ended at 31.8x (as it should).

Few other details:
OS: WinXP Pro SP1
Software: Nero v6.3.1.15
Burner: Liteon LTR-52327S (firmware QS57)
Media: TDK 700MB 48X (100p bulk)

ATIP: 97m 15s 17f
Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f / LBA: 359845)

Do you think this is a problem with:

  1. Nero
  2. The Liteon burner
  3. Inconsistent media (which still doesn’t explain the strange burn end speed)


Update to and try again :wink: