Burn quality problem with SH-S182D

I’m trying to fix my lead in problem. I got the SH-182D. I tried using the SFDNWIN Ver. 3.22.5.6. I use the windows run method. And able to get the NOCHECK option to show up. But I can’t load the TS-H652D. Because it’s not a bin file. Can anyone help me on this. I’ve made about 25 coasters. Really getting tried of this burner.

Hi and Welcome!

you might please have another look into the FAQ (see my signature) in order to learn how to extract the binary firmware file from recent Samsung packages :wink:

Michael

Well I’ve been on here for the better part of the day. And I don’t see it in the FAQ section. If you can’t help. Then I understand. I’m starting to think this drive is unfix able.

As written by mciahel, in the Mini-FAQ for Samsung DVD Writers, section: Firmware:

Additional note: Samsung has changed their way to provide firmware updates. Formerly, the plain firmware file and the flash tool had to be downloaded separately. Now, they have put both components together into a self extracting archive file. You can use the free 7-zip to extract the archive and to get both parts, the flash tool and the firmware file separately.

There you are. :slight_smile:

I actually found out how to extract the bin file from the exe file. I just used winrar.

My burner worked well for the 1st 80-100 Video DVD’s. Then I started getting lost pixels for the 1st 5 mins. or so of the movies.

What I’ve tried so far. 1st I used the “CDFreaks edition” of the firmware SB04. Lead In problem wasn’t solved.

I also TS-H652D Firmware Update (KC03) in my last a temp to fix the lead in problem. Still no success.

I’m thinking it might just be easier to buy another burner for around $35. Cause I really don’t know what else to try.

Hi,[quote=dynamic73;2101050]

My burner worked well for the 1st 80-100 Video DVD’s. Then I started getting lost pixels for the 1st 5 mins. or so of the movies.

What I’ve tried so far. 1st I used the “CDFreaks edition” of the firmware SB04. Lead In problem wasn’t solved.

I also TS-H652D Firmware Update (KC03) in my last a temp to fix the lead in problem. Still no success.
[/quote]this doesn’t look like the Lead-In issue (in that case, the disc wouldn’t be recognized), but merely like a media related issue. So I split the posts into a new thead.

What media are you using? And what media were you using previously?

Michael

I’m using TDK. Which the 1st 50 DVD-R worked out great. Now I bought another 50 DVD-R pack. And I’m having problems. I’ve tried some of the new DVD’s on my laptop. And they work just fine on that. When I found this thread. I thought this is my problem. Because it’s really just the first few mins. of the movies that’s affected. After the 1st few mins. The rest of the movie plays just fine.

I agree that it’s media related. TDK use several different manufacturers for their media, and one spindle maybe made by a different manufacturer than the first.

Added to that, some TDK discs are just downright variable in quality.

I have 2 SH-S182D drives myself, and given good media, they perform excellently for me.

Could be that your laptop drive is more tolerant of the discs than your Samsung. Having said that, my own Sammies will burn just about anything.

TDK 16x DVD-R media is some of the worst media on the planet. In particular, the PRODISC S05 (Made in Taiwan) burns like crap. Coasters and poor burns are normal for that media. The DAXON 016S (Made in Malaysia) is a little better, but not by much.

You’ve got to feed the S182D good media, and the TDK is not it.

Yea Ok…Since I had good luck with it in the past. Hundreds of TDK cd burns. I thought I would try it for DVD’s. I’m going to try and get some good ole Verbatim media. I’ll post up my results when I get a few burned. Verbatim was always my back-up media of choice.

Ok I got 2 50 pk’s of Verbatim DVD-R w/AZO dye. From New egg and they work great with the burner. So there is a different from pack to pack of Name Brand DVD’s. TDK 1st 50 pk worked great. The next 50 pk of TDK’s were worthless. I’ve never had a problem with Verbatim’s in the past. Hopefully both of the 50 pks will work out just fine.

Glad the Verbatims are doing well so far, and thanks for letting us know your results :slight_smile:

Since you are burning video, you probably could have solved your problem by just switching to +R media. Using +R media and setting the booktype to ‘DVD-ROM’ will give you the best compatibility with standalone DVD players.

I have a video of a friend’s band that I have burnt around 200 copies of. When I started with -R media, several people reported that it didn’t play properly on their standalone players. I switched to +R and haven’t had a single complaint since. And since this video is a ‘give-away’, my friend supplies me with the cheapest 25-packs of generic media that can be found on sale–usually TDK, “Windata”, or “Dynex”.

[QUOTE=LesStrater;2112705]Since you are burning video, you probably could have solved your problem by just switching to +R media. Using +R media and setting the booktype to ‘DVD-ROM’ will give you the best compatibility with standalone DVD players.

I have a video of a friend’s band that I have burnt around 200 copies of. When I started with -R media, several people reported that it didn’t play properly on their standalone players. I switched to +R and haven’t had a single complaint since. And since this video is a ‘give-away’, my friend supplies me with the cheapest 25-packs of generic media that can be found on sale–usually TDK, “Windata”, or “Dynex”.[/QUOTE]

Use of DVD+R instead of -R [or the reverse] would usually only possibly cure a playback issue where the device wouldn’t recognize either -R or +R at all [the same for booktyping]. That wasn’t the case here; it was poor media, poorly written that couldn’t be read well enough during playback to have flawless video quality. :wink:

I’m not the smartest person here. That’s for sure. But I think the problem was the inconsistent TDK media. And with the 1st 50 pk of TDK DVD’s working fine. Then the next 50 pk of TDK DVD’s. Giving me a lead in problem on my DVD’s. It show that TDK and mostly likely others. Are not consistant in their DVD manufacturing.

On another note. I have a Panasonic DVD-RV26 model player. That I use in my home theater. It’s seven years old. That’s why I use DVD-R. Because it’s my understanding that. Older DVD players. Have problems with DVD+R media. I’ve never tried using the DVD+R media with the Panasonic player. So I don’t know if the Panasonic could use DVD+R media. But the DVD-R media has always worked fine. So I’ve seen no reason to try anything else.

[QUOTE=dynamic73;2112986]…But I think the problem was the inconsistent TDK media. And with the 1st 50 pk of TDK DVD’s working fine. Then the next 50 pk of TDK DVD’s. Giving me a lead in problem on my DVD’s. It show that TDK and mostly likely others. Are not consistant in their DVD manufacturing.[/QUOTE]

I’d say you’re correct in your thinking :iagree:

As for using DVD-R with your Panny - whatever works, right? :slight_smile: