Burn problems: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung TS-L632D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have the TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-L632D burner, running firmware version DE04. It has sporadically had problems in the past with burning, and now just seems to refuse to burn discs at all. I’m running Windows XP Media Center Edition (fully patched with all Microsoft Updates). I’ve tried using the XP burning process, burning through Windows Media Player, the disc writing tool included with TMPGEnc DVD Author, and with a burning program called StarBurn. I’ve used both Ritek DVDs and some crappy brand called TEON.

Regardless of disc type or software used, I always get the same type of problem- the burn process appears to be successful about 99% of the way through, and then an error is given. The error message varies depending on the program used.

I spoke with Dell technical support (this is on a Dell Inspiron E1405), and after about 2 minutes of asking me questions they want me to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. I’d obviously like to avoid this if at all possible, so can someone point me in the right direction when it comes to troubleshooting this type of problem? I have NERO Disc Speed, but I’m not familiar with the program and don’t know what type of test to run, or how to interpret the results. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Dell told you bollocks.

First try to clean the drive.
Second, go into devicemanager and uninstall the ide channels, then reboot.
Also, delete the upper & lower filters (see my sig).

Then, download imgburn and try to burn.

Thanks for the help- I used compressed air to clean the drive out, removed the IDE channel through the device manager, and removed the lower filter (there was no upper filter listed) in the registry. I then downloaded and installed the latest version of ImgBurn, and attempted to burn a disc. It seemed to work OK until it got to finalizing the disc. Then it went into verifying the disc, and just seemed to wait for the drive to become ready for a long time.
After about 7 or 8 minutes of waiting I canceled the operation. The disc it burned isn’t being recognized by the drive, or in my other computer. If I look at the disc, I can see that something was burned, because it has the smaller dark ring of purple on the disc that shows up when things burn. The drive does read, however, other discs that I have (data and DVD video as well as audio CDs). Do you have any other troubleshooting steps you can recommend? I’ve copy-pasted the ImgBurn log below in case that’s useful:

I 22:10:48 ImgBurn Version started!
I 22:10:48 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)
I 22:10:48 Total Physical Memory: 2,087,288 KB - Available: 1,381,860 KB
I 22:10:48 Initialising SPTI…
I 22:10:48 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 22:10:48 Found 1 DVD±RW!
I 22:13:05 Operation Started!
I 22:13:05 Building Image Tree…
I 22:13:16 Checking Directory Depth…
I 22:13:16 Calculating Totals…
I 22:13:16 Preparing Image…
I 22:13:16 Checking Path Length…
I 22:13:16 Contents: 35 Files, 2 Folders
I 22:13:16 Size: 313,364,480 bytes
I 22:13:16 Sectors: 153,010
I 22:13:16 Image Size: 314,015,744 bytes
I 22:13:16 Image Sectors: 153,328
I 22:13:20 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:15
I 22:13:20 Operation Started!
I 22:13:20 Source File: -==//[BUILD IMAGE]/==-
I 22:13:20 Source File Sectors: 153,328 (MODE1/2048)
I 22:13:20 Source File Size: 314,015,744 bytes
I 22:13:20 Source File Volume Identifier: Unsketched
I 22:13:20 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.4.2.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!
I 22:13:20 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
I 22:13:20 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 22:13:20 Destination Device: [1:0:0] TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-L632D DE04 (D:) (ATA)
I 22:13:20 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: CMC MAG-E01-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x)
I 22:13:20 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104
I 22:13:20 Write Mode: DVD
I 22:13:20 Write Type: DAO
I 22:13:20 Write Speed: MAX
I 22:13:20 DVD+R Reserve Track: No
I 22:13:20 Link Size: Auto
I 22:13:20 Test Mode: No
I 22:13:20 OPC: No
I 22:13:20 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 22:13:20 Book Type Setting: DVD-ROM
I 22:13:21 Filling Buffer… (40 MB)
I 22:13:22 Writing LeadIn…
I 22:13:43 Writing Session 1 of 1… (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 153327)
I 22:13:43 Writing Track 1 of 1… (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 153327)
I 22:14:47 Synchronising Cache…
I 22:14:52 Closing Track…
I 22:14:54 Finalising Disc…
W 22:16:25 Potential ‘WaitImmediateIO’ Deferred Error - (99%, 0/3) - Program Memory Area Update Failure
W 22:16:25 Finalise Disc Failed! - Reason: Program Memory Area Update Failure
W 22:16:25 Retrying (1 of 3)…
I 22:18:42 Exporting Graph Data…
I 22:18:42 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew Walker\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\TSSTcorp_DVD±RW_TS-L632D_DE04_SATURDAY-NOVEMBER-29-2008_10-13_PM_CMC_MAG-E01-00_MAX.ibg
I 22:18:42 Export Successfully Completed!
I 22:18:42 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:05:21
I 22:18:42 Average Write Rate: 4,791 KB/s (3.5x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,408 KB/s (3.9x)
I 22:18:42 Cycling Tray before Verify…
W 22:19:01 Waiting for device to become ready…
I 22:26:35 Abort Request Acknowledged
E 22:26:35 Device Not Ready - Logical Unit is in process of becoming ready
E 22:26:35 Operation Aborted!

Well, a few reboots and defrags later, it’s now burning. Now that I’m further down the spindle my Ritek G05 discs seem to be burning OK. Thanks for the help.