Burn On Demand: What Media Are The Movie Studios Using?

vbimport

As many of you know, over the last couple of years several of the major movie studios have decided that it is no longer economically feasible to manufacture pressed DVDs for many of their older catalogue titles. Instead, they’ve switched to using technology that allows them to burn DVD-Rs as needed. It’s referred to as “burn on demand” or “manufacture on demand”. Some of the labels under which these titles are marketed are:

Warner Archive Collection
MGM Limited Edition Collection
Universal Vault Series
Sony Screen Classics By Request

My question for my fellow CDFreaks/MyCE is, does anyone have any insight or knowledge about the kinds of DVD-R media that are being used? Is there anything about the burning process that is different or distinct from traditional commercial duplication?

There’s someone really perverse about the idea of the studios switching to burnable optical media, especially when in many cases, they are charging an average of $20.00 USD per title, and the quality and longevity of the media being used is still a big question mark.

Do they still have CSS onboard???

[QUOTE=chef;2598494]Do they still have CSS onboard???[/QUOTE]

Yes. It’s a special modified version.

[QUOTE=negritude;2598478]…There’s someone really perverse…[/QUOTE]

…Something… :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=negritude;2598478]My question for my fellow CDFreaks/MyCE is, does anyone have any insight or knowledge about the kinds of DVD-R media that are being used?[/QUOTE]

Most likely CPRM Ritek F1 (like Qflix DVD-Rs).