Burn failures on WH12LS39 Drive - Help

vbimport

Just bought the WH12LS39 drive. Installed it in external enclosure and interfaced it with my mac mini. Using OS X 10.6.8 …ripped bluray movie for backup using DVDfab for mac. Ripped over 45 gb files and then tried to burn a Verbatim BD-R DL disc and got a coaster. Tried same with PC laptop (old Pentium based one) Rip came out fine using DVDFab but tried to burn files on WH12LS39 drive using IMGburn at 2x speed, After burn was completed, IMGburn dialog indicated successful burn was complete but while trying to close IMGburn, I got errors indicating structure errors??.. as it turned out the disc does not load on the WH12LS39 drive and also a standalone bluray player… I am puzzled what to do next.

As You can imagine, Verbatim BD-R DL discs cost me over $4 apiece and I cannot afford to keep making coasters at this rate. Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing these errors? Do I need a faster computer?? Is there special settings using IMGburn that I need to consider using this type of drive or disc?..BTW, I used firewire 400 between the WH12LS39 drive and the mac and USB 1.1 with the PC laptop.

What kind of equipment setup you guys use to successfully burn a Verbatim BD-R DL disc using a WH12LS39 drive??

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Maybe the enclosure does not have enough power.

Can you try it internal?

Believe it or not, used an ASUS BluRay external (SBW-06D2x-U) burner and it works. The LG is not as reliable even though its installed in an external case that I believe provides enough power. The LG has no problem to rip. Did find out however setting IMGburn is crucial. Need to set to UDF and 2.50 and burn at 1/2 speed or less of the disc rated speed… set 4x rated disc to 2x burn.

It sounds very possible that the LG drive is not especially compatible with the chipset in that enclosure. And USB 2.0 is just barely fast enough for 4x+ burns. USB 1.1 doesn’t stand a chance with a BD burner. You would be better with 2.0, and be able to burn at higher speeds with ESATA or USB 3.0

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2660298]It sounds very possible that the LG drive is not especially compatible with the chipset in that enclosure. And USB 2.0 is just barely fast enough for 4x+ burns. USB 1.1 doesn’t stand a chance with a BD burner. You would be better with 2.0, and be able to burn at higher speeds with ESATA or USB 3.0[/QUOTE]

Deanwitty…Understand. Still using the ASUS drive with excellent results. Still have the LG drive but sitting idle until I get brave enough again to give it another shot on DL Bluray’s. BTW, the LG is connected via firewire 400 to the Mac Mini, so speed is not an issue. The external case housing the LG drive uses the latest Oxford 934 chip set, not sure if this is good or bad with the LG.