Burn DVD with cd burner

Plz make this solution as simple as possible. I have a cd burner and I’m trying to burn a movie on to a 4.3 dvd+r or DL 8.5 dvd. How do I do that? Is there any software I can use to make this possible? Thanks in advance.

it’s impossible to burn DVD’s with a CD Burner.

if you want to burn DVD’s you can buy a DVD Burner (which will also burn CD’s to) on places like newegg.com for fairly cheap (30 dollars or so out the door. no more than 40 tops!)

Well I read something about using a virtual burner or something like that. That’s what I was interested in hearing about. I tried to install a virtual machine before and it was so confusing I uninstalled the whole thing before I could test drive it. That’s why I wanted input first.

It’s called MagicDisc Virtual DVD/CD-ROM. Does anyone know anything about this? Another thread I found in THIS form http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/can-i-burn-dvds-using-cd-rw-drive-103681/ mentioned Nero Recorde in version 6. Does this work? Anybody?

It is possible to mount a dvd image in a virtual dvd drive, like Daemon Tools, but how are you going to get the image into the computer? You need a dvd drive, at least a dvd rom to read the disk so you can make an image. (unless you’re talking about a [B]downloaded[/B] movie or dvd image file).

And no virtual drive will allow you to burn a dvd with a cdr burner. A dvd burner uses a different type of laser to burn to blank dvd disks.

Following your link, it is certainly possible to convert a dvd into a vcd. You CAN burn a vcd in a cd burner. Nero Vision can do this for you if you have Nero. A free encoder that can make vcd’s is SUPER. You might have to split your dvd into two parts in order to make it fit onto a couple of cds though. Choose Mpg VCD compliant as the output in SUPER.

Are you trying to get this movie to play on a stand alone dvd player? If you have a dvd player that can handle divx or xvid encoded avi files, you’ll get better quality converting to that type of format. Look into a program called AutoGK to convert a dvd to xvid.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2128741]It is possible to mount a dvd image in a virtual dvd drive, like Daemon Tools, but how are you going to get the image into the computer? You need a dvd drive, at least a dvd rom to read the disk so you can make an image. (unless you’re talking about a [B]downloaded[/B] movie or dvd image file).

And no virtual drive will allow you to burn a dvd with a cdr burner. A dvd burner uses a different type of laser to burn to blank dvd disks.

Following your link, it is certainly possible to convert a dvd into a vcd. You CAN burn a vcd in a cd burner. Nero Vision can do this for you if you have Nero. A free encoder that can make vcd’s is SUPER. You might have to split your dvd into two parts in order to make it fit onto a couple of cds though. Choose Mpg VCD compliant as the output in SUPER.

Are you trying to get this movie to play on a stand alone dvd player? If you have a dvd player that can handle divx or xvid encoded avi files, you’ll get better quality converting to that type of format. Look into a program called AutoGK to convert a dvd to xvid.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for ur help Kerry and thanks to everyone else who’s answered my post. I’m finally getting some answers. I am trying to play these movies in a standalone DVD player and I do have a DVD rom just not a DVD burner but I would like to burn both movies I download (flv, avi) and some I buy from blockbuster with my CD burner. So I want to make sure this is feasible before I go through the hassle then I want to make sure I get the right equipment.

I’d have to agree, my cdr does not currently recognize any of my dvds. So what are they, just wasted coasters or can I get software that can convert the format before I burn to it with my cdr?

If I read this right, your saying I can x the virtual drive idea (I don’t care to store any of these videos on my hard drive) and I have to create an image (do you mean ISO here?)/vcd/xvid/OR divx out of the source file before I can burn them with my cd player? Correct? Can I convert flv files to the above mentioned formats for burning with my CD burner?

Now, after conversion do I just burn it like I would a regular data disc or are there special steps I need to take?

I tried to use Nero Vision and I didn’t get very far. As a test run, I also burned an ISO image of a 30 min. Frasier episode (using Nero 6- Not Nero Vision) onto a CD and it didn’t play in my DVD player. How do I know which formats my DVD player can play?

Thanks Again.

[quote=arj1981;2128843]How do I know which formats my DVD player can play?[/quote]Just read the manual of your player.

Michael

I have three DVDs (lost the manuals to all of them) but I was only able to confirm that one of them can play Divx videos so I’ll start there. I tried finding an online manual for Magnavox MWD200F but couldn’t.

Thanks.

Try searching for your standalone models at www.videohelp.com - that should give some indication as to what their capabilities are. :wink:

Ok. I used some freeware to convert my 30 min Frasier.flv to a avi format and now I’m in the process of using NeroVision Express to burn it to a cd. I don’t know if it’s gonna burn as a divx video but I want it to bc I know that’s one of the format’s my DVD player reads. It’s gonna take up 600MB of disc space on a 700MB disc. Is that right? What will happen when it comes to my two hour long movies? Is there a way to compress larger files without losing quality? I also tried to use Divx converter but once it was converted I couldn’t find the new file anywhere on my system. That’s odd.

I will tell everyone how it goes and thank you for the link Arachne.

Whenever you convert a DVD to AVI, you will take a loss on the quality no matter what the software claims.

Ok everybody. It worked. I converted the flv file to avi format and burned it with nero vision express and it played in my dvd player with the divx reader. Though, divx converter didn’t work for me. When I tried to convert the avi file with that software a whole bunch of empty temp files populated but there was no end result.

Now, what’s the best format I should convert my flv files into for the best quality for my dvd player? And how do I get better time on those cds? Are there other cds I should purchase? So far, a 30 min episode is the only thing that can fit on ONE cd. I want to be able to put a whole movie on ONE cd. Is that feasible?

Thanks everybody for the help and advice.

Unless I misread something, is there a reason you can’t pull out your DVD-ROM and replace it with a DVD burner? Burners are inexpensive. This was also asked in the second post.

i agree, just get a dvd burner.

you will save hours of recoding time and preserve most or all quality. :slight_smile:

you can get a really good drive for $23
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011

I just don’t want to. I don’t like messing around with hardware and I wouldn’t even know how to start the process. Is it easy and how do I know which one goes into my computer? I have an old system. I’m not confident enough to take that step.

Ok. When I pulled up Nero to experiment with copying a dvd I got this information. Do I still need to worry about upgrading my hardware in order to get the desired effect? It seems like it’s saying that I support DVD burning through a virtual drive. Or I can create a virtual drive in order to handle this task. Or a virtual drive is included with Nero 6. If that’s the case, how do I use it?

It’s not a matter of money but the degree of technical difficulty. I’m sure that’s obvious by now.

Image Recorder “records” to a file on your hard drive with an ISO or NRG extension. With some software you can “mount” the ISO/NRG file as a virtual CD/DVD on a virtual CD/DVD drive in your computer.

I repeat what’s been said above: You cannot burn DVD media with a CD burner. Period.

Yo-

The OP is kidding - right-eh???

It’s not a matter of money but the degree of technical difficulty.

If you are confident you are not technically able to do it and you don’t want to mess with it yourself, the only way you’re going to burn a DVD is to buy it from a local retailer and pay them to install it. There are Mop and Pop retailers who might do it for a small flat fee.

As stated above:

You cannot burn DVD media with a CD burner. Period.

I would like to thank Kerry and Arach for being patient with me and giving me tons of great resources and advice. I can’t believe some ppl have to be so crude simply because as a noobie I had doubts and questions.

I took everyone up on their advice and simply bought a dvd burner and installed it myself. It was easy. Now my system reads and burns blank dvds. It’s ashame no one could simply state that it’s very easy to install. It’s as easy as 1 2 3 in order to sell me on the idea.

I did state in the OP make the solution as simple as possible. Yet telling someone they need to change their hardware doesn’t SOUND easy if (like me) you don’t know any better. A lot of experts in this thread left that part out.

Throwing in that catch phrase or an answer like that (which I asked about in post 15) would’ve gotten a lot further with me then crude sarcasm and impatience.

Thanks Again to all who have been really helpful in this forum. You keep ppl like me inspired by your true kindness, generosity and patience. :smiley: