Burn data to outer edge of DVD?

Hi.

I am looking for a way to make my data end up on the outer edge of a DVD, rather than the usual way of starting from the inner edge.

For example, say I have a CD with data I want to access faster, I could copy it to a DVD and make the data end up at the outer edge of the disc where it can be read the fastest.

Some console games do this, for example Ikaruga on the Dreamcast. There is only about 50Mb of data for the game, the rest of the disc is padding to move it to the end of the disc (outer edge).

I can’t find any software that lets you specify where particular files will end up. The only thought I had was to use a multi-session disc, and burn a large file first to use up 75% of the disc and then add the remaining 25% of data to another session. I have a feeling that could cause problems when trying to boot from DVD though.

You could use something like UltraISO (shareware) to build an ISO image with large dummy files (which can be hidden or “advanced hidden”) at the beginning of the disc and your actual files after the dummy files. This can be done using the file priority feature.

Then you can burn the resulting file with UltraISO or another program capable of burning ISO images, such as ImgBurn.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2301847]You could use something like UltraISO (shareware) to build an ISO image with large dummy files (which can be hidden or “advanced hidden”) at the beginning of the disc and your actual files after the dummy files. This can be done using the file priority feature.

Then you can burn the resulting file with UltraISO or another program capable of burning ISO images, such as ImgBurn.[/QUOTE]
That is a brilliant idea :iagree:

I dont know if it is just a software issue or whether it goes against the standards, but to my knowledge, there is no way of starting the writing process in any other point than the begining.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go!