Can you burn a CD iso onto a DVD?

I tried to burn
KANOTIX-2005-03.iso
and
SimplyMEPIS-3.3.1-1.iso
to a DVD-RW using Nero Express (6.6.0.8) and both times it said
‘Gimme a CD’

Are CD images that different from DVD?

It shouldn’t be that much different. But did you select a DVD project, or a CD project? They are different in Nero express. If you have started a DVD project, I don’t think it should ask for a CD. I am not a pro with Nero, though :slight_smile:

If all else fails, you can check another program which is free or has a free trial (e.g., SwiftDisc www.swiftdisc.com).

Good luck.

The simple way of burning images like this is to use DVD Decrypter (www.afterdawn.com). This will convert the slightly different formats automatically for you.
Why would you want to burn a CD image to a DVD?

BUP IFO and MPEG files. They all play on InterVideo and PowerDVD player. I downloaded this file : Oceans_Twelve.torrent (BitLord) that was split into 2 folders

AUDIO_TS (no files in that folder)

VIDEO_TS This VIDEO folder had all the IFO BUP and MPEG files. I lucked into playing the movie in on InterVideo and PowerDVD player by dbl clicking the VTS_01_0.IFO file.

NOW THE QUESTION???NOW THE QUESTION

Why didn’t I read the forum rules that I agreed to when I joined the forum before asking for help with my illegal download. :doh:

My email is oilrus@frontiernet.net Thank you on advance !!!

Kindly

Joe Copia (This is my first post here) weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Kikibug - I tried Nero again selecting DVD and it still said ‘CD please’
I tried BurnatOnce and same thing.

TimC - DVD Decrypter worked.
I just used ISO - Write mode and it just worked no problems for some reason. Both isos booted fine aswell.
Why use a DVD? I’m out of CDs and have a few DVD-RWs.

Cheers

try Burn4free :smiley:
you can download it from here
http://www.burn4free.com/
it can burn CD image (eg. *.iso, *.nrg) on a DVD disc

[QUOTE=manson;2020677]try Burn4free :smiley:
you can download it from here
http://www.burn4free.com/
it can burn CD image (eg. *.iso, *.nrg) on a DVD disc[/QUOTE]

3 years later… :confused:

Well, it sure helped me this thead coming up againg. I was trying to figure a way to make a copy of my Windows cd to a dvd without losing the ability to boot from it and without using any floppy.
Maybe I will try Imgburn before DVD Decrypter.

Does this really work ?! :doh:
If anybody has got it to work, a step by step Guide would be great!
Thank u!! :slight_smile:

well…technically isn’t an iso image file burnable onto just about any type of optical media, even blu-ray? it just is kind of a waste, burning a cd image on a dvd - for example, my ubuntu cd image i could’ve burned onto a dvd (i tried and it worked), but it just wastes a LOT of unused space, so if you just get about any program that is low-end enough to not care what type of iso you are burning, cant you just use any low-end optical burner though?

Nah , Its not a waste, If I can burn a win xp CD iso to DVD , and make it bootable, then I will edit that iso using either power iso / ultraiso, so that it has all my drivers and softwares and etc stuffs , and stuff it to brim upto 4.3 gb easily without any problem. Infact it wud be less troublesome for me. No need to carry more than 1 dvd! :smiley:

I am trying it right now, with imgburn !

[QUOTE=miniGweeK;2030014]…I am trying it right now, with imgburn ![/QUOTE]

So, did you get it to work? What you are trying to do is called [B]“slipstreaming”[/B].

See my post at
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f59/freeware-equivalents-neroburningrom-roxioeasymediacreator-243762/#post2044577

I’ve been trying to find a freeware burner that will permit the burning of slipstreamed compilations. It takes more than just a burner capable of burning an .iso file.

I just burned a CD iso (9 MB big) to a DVD.
With DeepBurner 1.9 portable.
It just works.

Unlike Nero 6.6, which refused to work. Typical Nero …

About the “waste”: I need this iso image on a disc. Today. The DVD+RW I just burned it to is the only disc at hand. There is no waste. :wink:

Regards,
David

i had this same question a few months ago, and never found a good answer, but since then I have realized that [B]Alcohol 120%[/B] has this capability.

i had this same question a few months ago, and never found a good answer, but since then I have realized that you can burn a cd image to a DVD with [B]Alcohol 120%[/B].

In 2005 it may have been a waste… but now in 2008, it would be a waste of a good CD! It’s cheaper for me to buy DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs than to buy CD-Rs. I save them for music in the car stereo, since it can’t read DVDs. CDs are around $5 more for a 50 pack. Probably only going to get worse over time.

-CN

In my case, I just don’t keep blank CD"s around anymore. I’m shocked this thread was dead for 3 years.

Hi there,

I have read your thread and a few replies.

but you CAN use NERO. its the best you know.

open NERO BURNING ROM. (NOT NERO EXPRESS). [Click the start menu > Program > Nero and you will find it.]

click on ISO.

change nothing.

click on “OPEN”

select the ISO file, the file you want to burn to disc.

a new box appears and on the TOP LEFTside it says CD. It has a drop down menu. Click it and select DVD.

Burn your file and enjoy.

thanks.

Well whada-you-know it works!:bow: Clicking on ISO to bring the ISO tab to the front isn’t necessary though. It doesn’t change what Open… does.

It also works if you select Burn Image from the Recorder menu and (after you select the ISO to burn) choose DVD for the image type.

So is this a major discovery or or we(us who replied in this thread wanting to do it with Nero) just the only one’s that didn’t know about it? Maybe it didn’t work until Nero 8?

[QUOTE=xerces8;2048602]I just burned a CD iso (9 MB big) to a DVD.
With DeepBurner 1.9 portable.
It just works.

Unlike Nero 6.6, which refused to work. Typical Nero …

About the “waste”: I need this iso image on a disc. Today. The DVD+RW I just burned it to is the only disc at hand. There is no waste. :wink:

Regards,
David[/QUOTE]

Perhaps your problem lies in the fact that you are trying to use a version of Nero that is years out of date. I was able to burn an Ubuntu CD iso image to a DVD just now with Nero 9, and it works perfectly.

Or maybe it’s just a Windows thing.