Burn as video or data?

vbimport

For integrity reasons, when trading, is it best to burn things as data or as video? It is best to burn as data when dealing with audio CDs. CDs require ripping, whereas DVD can simply be copied and pasted to the computer. So is a data DVD the same thing as a video DVD?

Someone’s sending me some stuff and I have no knowledge of the software or media he’s using, so it would probably be best to ask him to make an MD5 file before he burns and then burn them as data right? Can anyone advise me of a simple thing that will allow one to create an MD5 file for a folder? Suggestions for Mac and Windows, cuz I’m not sure what his OS is.

A data dvd is not the same as a dvd-video. Many stand alone players in the past would not recognize dvds that were burned as data, even if the data was a dvd-video.

There is a slight difference in the format. DVD-video uses a bridge file system, with both a subset of UDF 1.02 and ISO9660. The files must be contiguous, and they must appear in a specific order for dvd-video. And there are limits to the size of each vob file in a normal dvd-video. 1gb is the upper limit that most players will recognize.

I’m not sure why you want md5 files, unless you are worried about the integrity of the files that you’ve downloaded. I don’t normally mess with them, so you’ll have to wait for someone else to advise you on md5.

Copy & paste for DVDs…how hilarious.

[QUOTE=chef;2694597]Copy & paste for DVDs…how hilarious.[/QUOTE]

Wait, why is that hilarious? I verified this via message board comments. Seemed reputable as one was a comment from an administrator on a video forum. Using software is unnecessary unless there’s copy protection. This proved to be true as I copied a few DVDs via copy & paste and there didn’t seem to be any problems whatsoever.

I’d ask each of my trading pals for their preference - to send the raw Data Files (the VIDEO_TS files) as a Data-DVD, or if they want it burned as a Video-DVD.

Several DVD Burning Packages will see “VIDEO_TS” and its contents and automatically suggest these are buned as Video-DVDs. It may take me some ‘confirmation’ nags to insist, “Yes, I know these are normally video-files, but I want them burned onto a plain Data-DVD format, not as a Video-DVD.”

But I’d ask the trading partners. If they didn’t have a preference, then I’d ask what they wanted to use these files for - to plug my disk into their DVD player and watch immediately, or do they want to save the files onto their computer’s hard-disk and watch from there.

Essentially it doesn’t matter. There’s no fundamental difference between a data DVD and a Video DVD. CDs, by contrast, there is a fundemntal difference. CDs require special software to be copied to the computer because the error correction mechanism built into them makes them too convoluted to be interpreted by the computer, natively.

If they are already in dvd-video format, there are few reasons not to burn as dvd-video in the burning program. Some operating systems do not come with a native player that is capable of playing dvd-video. Windows XP is one.

But there are so many options for playing dvd-video on computers these days it is rarely a problem. I can name a dozen, free players that will play dvds on a Windows operating system…including VLC, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, PotPlayer, SMPlayer, etc.

When I transfer a DVD folder & file set from one harddrive to another I use CloneDVD2.
I got in this habit with Windows98SE & I’ve continued it.
With an older OS sometimes copy & paste didn’t work as well.
The video sometimes had problems when burned after a c&p .
When I used Clone for a transfer I never had the problems.

@ Kerry , Have you tried playing a DVD that is on an external USB hard drive with MPC-HC ?
The reason I ask & I haven’t tried again for a while is I get an wrong regions error when I try this. VLC has no problem playing the same DVD.
I have SMPlayer but I don’t remember trying it for this.

Some older DVD players seem to require the existence of the VIDEO_TS folder structure - which is a ‘format’ of sorts, therefore - even if the VIDEO_TS.IFO file is in the disk’s root, some DVD players can’t use it because they’re hard-coded to look for that VIDEO_TS folder.

That’s why I ask the end-user which format they want. If they wanted the complete, uncompressed files of a 7Gb video-DVD, then I’d send them two Data-DVDs with some VOBs on one disk, the remainder on the other. This would definitely be a set of Data-DVDs, at that point - they’d copy those files to their hard-drive, combining them to restore a complete 7Gb VIDEO_TS folder.

Christine , If you want a challenge try putting a split DVD done by DVDFab back together with menu.
Two hints: DVDFab merge doesn’t work for this .
There is a guide for doing this on the forum.
It’s really to much trouble but was interesting finding a way to do it.

I don’t think I’ve ever created a Data-DVD that is a movie .
Meaning the same as a Video DVD but written as a Data-DVD.
How about a short guide for doing this?

A challenge, huh?!!

You mean to say that, when I send you this disk - which I’ll have carefully used my precision chisel and sledgehammer on -

that you won’t be able to merge these files back into a useable video? Darn… and that was going to be my NEXT package to ya!!

But aside from my proclivity to smash things, I often send out a 7Gb VIDEO_TS folder with some VOBs on one DVD-R blank, and the remainder on disk #2. Then let the End User copy them (drag n drop, copy & paste!) to his hard-drive and all the IFOs, BUPs, VOBs are there again. 7Gb worth.

Now, using that chisel and hammer on the HDD takes a bit more oomph, true…

That’s what super glue is for . Then polish the disc.