Building The Ultimate Gaming pc

vbimport

The title says it “Building The Ultimate Gaming pc”
I been doing a bit of research and I would say with no doubt as of a lot of other people that the “Nvidia Geforce 8800 Ultra” is the best gpu in the world according to every where i heard it. Whenever I heard the words “8800 Ultra”, not to far away from it would be the word “best”. That is all the evidence that it is the best gpu. Anyway my point is that if the geforce 8800 ultra is the best gpu,… to go along with it, what would be the best motherboard to go along with it, and the cpu, and all other hardware that determines a true extreme machine?

I want you to post your ideas of what you think the “ultimate gaming pc” would be.

Include ALL specs that will make up the Ultimate pc

Get as technical as you want!

Watch this : http://dl.tv/2008/07/dltv_ep_239_graphics_card_roun_1.php

Then go read the current review at Tom’s Hardware : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-cards,1965.html

If, after that, you [B]still[/B] think an 8800 Ultra is the best then buy it.

Moved to the General Hardware forum.

Yup the 8800xxx is old now, The GTX280 is the new rock star. Pair that with the e8400 wolfdale or Q9450 yorkfield for the cpu. Pair that with a 790i chipset SLI MB, it uses DDR3 ram. Pair that with a 6-700w Seasonic PSU and I’d say your good to go. :cool:

Here’s a pretty good deal on 4gigs DDR3, CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB). Go for a case like the Antec 900, or a Coolermaster stacker.

Wait another month for the ATI HD4870X2 to hit retail. It will destroy the GTX280, as the HD4870 holds its own with the 280 - for $200 less at that.

I should of known about the gtx 280 since ive been looking on nvidias site for so long lol. I actually saw that the specs were better but for some reason posted about the 8800.

and someone said somthin about the 780i mobo. I wonder what the combined price of this machine would be after getting all this hardware. 2000 easily maybe lol?

Well you could still have a blazing fast system and save a few hundred bucks by getting a P45 board GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L, the E8400 cpu, HD4870 X2 GPU, and 4 gigs of fast ram. It would be an insanly fast system, without the extra bells and whistles. It would be worth puting the saved money towards an Asus Xonar sound card.

Intel is going to have price cuts the end of this month, so I would wait.

Although and “ultimate” gaming PC wouldnt use a DS3L motherboard, rather DS4 or rather DS3R.
//Danne

what is ds3 and ds4 cmon edecate a noob

DS3L is the cheapest P45 motherboard Gigabyte have in their lineup, bare minimum cooling and only one PCI 16x-slot (you’ll want two for Crossfire at least). DS4 and DS3R seems pretty similar apart from better cooling on DS4 and no TPM. Compared to the DS3L you get two NICs (compatible with bonding), better cooling, TPM (DS3R only), eSATA bracket, ICH10R southbridge (compared to ICH10 on the DS3L). Dont ever go for nVidia chipsets on Intel platforms, you’ll regret it.
//Danne

Crossfire and SLI aren’t worth it yet because performance doesn’t scale, and who needs to game at 2560x1920 resolution anyway. ICH10R isn’t important at all because he doens’t need RAID, its a complete waste of resources.

Its true the ultimate gaming rig would run SLI or crossfire, but its more a gimmic the same way RAID is. If you get a blazing fast video card like the 4870X2 it would play anything you could throw at it and at any resolution without the need for a SLI or crossfire MB.

[QUOTE=DJ B;2090128]The title says it "Building The Ultimate Gaming pc"
I been doing a bit of research and I would say with no doubt as of a lot of other people that the “Nvidia Geforce 8800 Ultra” is the best gpu in the world according to every where i heard it. Whenever I heard the words “8800 Ultra”, not to far away from it would be the word “best”. That is all the evidence that it is the best gpu. Anyway my point is that if the geforce 8800 ultra is the best gpu,… to go along with it, what would be the best motherboard to go along with it, and the cpu, and all other hardware that determines a true extreme machine?

I want you to post your ideas of what you think the “ultimate gaming pc” would be.

Include ALL specs that will make up the Ultimate pc

Get as technical as you want![/QUOTE]

Pros: OK, for anyone even thinking about buying this card, think again. yes this is a dang good card, BUT its running $500 buck and is 2 yrs old now. there are newer and much better cards out called GTX 260 and HD 4870, both are better performers. the GTX 260 is around $400 and the HD 4870 is $300, so look at those before you waist your money.
Cons: hmmm, good card when it was King, but its time to retire and its performance at its price compared to other cards is just dissapointing. get the GTX 260 or HD 4870, and if your dumb enough to think it still is king cause your working off old info, the new King is GTX 280. though it'll run u $650.
Other Thoughts: Think before you buy and if you haven't looked up anything about computer hardware for longer than 3 months google best graphic cards, processors, etc. so use your head, and ignore this card

Check out this MB one of the top gaming MB out there around $350.00 USD but worth ever dollar!

@ eric93se
Crossfire actually scales very well although it could also certainly improve (some games have issues as of current date) but have in mind that 38**-series are brand new.
As many users people have 22" LCDs monitors you want everything (perferably) to be at native resolution to look good (scaling on LCDs looks bad) and CF/SLI might be your only option to achieve that with decent frame rates.
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=585&pageid=5 and forward

As for ICH10 vs ICH10R it’s about the same as for ICH9 sv ICH9R.
The R-version always have AHCI interface where ICH9 may have (hack) and ICH10 may have it if “ICH10 Consumer Base provides hardware support for AHCI functionality when enabled by appropriate system configuration and software driver” and why skimp on ~30 bucks if you can get a much better designed motherboard (including heatsinks).

As I said before, don’t even go for nVidia on Intel platform unless you want trouble…
//Danne

I recently moved from a NV 8800GTS (640MB) to a ATI HD-4870, the ATI 4870 absolutely leaves the 8800GTS for dead.

As DiiZzY already stated. Crossfire from what i’ve seen, seems to work pretty well. If were going the crossfire route, i would get a m/board that has 2 16x PCIe slots. I think x38 and x48 chipset boards support this.

Also just to add. These high end graphics cards consume a lot of power. So you will need a good quality PSU with 500W output (minimum) for the ATI HD-4870 and i would suggest you get at least 620W to leave yourself some headroom.

You would rather want P45 than X38/48 since its a newer chipset and uses 65nm instead of 90nm. Both DS3R and DS4 have two PCI Express 16x slots where DS3L hasnt.
//Danne

what would be a setup that can run crysis on very high settings with no lag?

also why would it be a bad idea to have a nvidia mobo on an intel platform.
whats the diference between intel and amd?

What monitor will you be using and do you plan on getting a very high resolution monitor in the future.

The intel chipsets are a little more mature and have better performance on certain things, but for gaming they are virtually idential. Currently the intel chipset is more efficient as well, in the past the nvidia chipset was very power hungry.

@DJ B
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=585&pageid=12
For now Crysis seems to benefit by a small margin but that might change later on.
Read the whole article and you’ll see that some games gets a huge performance increase while other don’t. As I’ve said earlier, it’s a very new card so it might take one or two releases before crossfire gets fully tweaked.

Intel chipsets are simply more stable (both hardware and drivers), have better compatibility and faster by a small margin where nVidia have had several chipsets with data corruption odd compatibility issues, bad drivers etc and at least I wouldn’t wouldnt buy a motherboard from nVidia with their current track record.
//Danne

i need to clarify this. Now by “chipset” or “platform” you mean motherboard right. another noob question