Building Media Server

vbimport

Hi

I’m currently in the process of building a media server, with my aim being to rip all my DVD’s onto Hard Disk so they can then be accessed from any network device (Pc, Ps3, Xbox 360 etc) in the house.

I have been told that to retain near DVD quality is to rip the DVD’s in H264 format, with a 4.5GB DVD being ripped to an average of 1 - 1.5GB. Is this correct?

Does anybody else have a better idea with regards to backing up my DVD’s, keeping in mind that I don’t want the full 4.5GB ISO being stored on the hard drive.

What’s the best s/ware for ripping to H264, as i’ve had a look about here and not seen much, unless i’m looking in the wrong place. I’ve heard FairUse wizard does a decent job?

Any help would be appreciated, and forigve me if i posted in the wrong section.

Thanks

Ripping your movies to h.264 is definitely the way to go if you want top quality while saving space (as long as you have compatible players). I don’t own a PS3 so I don’t know what type of restrictions it might have on h.264 files, but I know that the Xbox 360 has restrictions (googling “xbox 360 h.264” will give you plenty of reading material) so if you want your files to be compatible with all of your players, then you’ll have to rip them to the lowest common denominator. As far as which program to use, I recommend meGUI.

[QUOTE=AZImmortal;2093792]Ripping your movies to h.264 is definitely the way to go if you want top quality while saving space (as long as you have compatible players). I don’t own a PS3 so I don’t know what type of restrictions it might have on h.264 files, but I know that the Xbox 360 has restrictions (googling “xbox 360 h.264” will give you plenty of reading material) so if you want your files to be compatible with all of your players, then you’ll have to rip them to the lowest common denominator. As far as which program to use, I recommend meGUI.[/QUOTE]

thanks mate!