Building a PC!

vbimport

If you were building a new PC that was primarily used for encoding and gaming, what would you choose for the processor and mobo?

I’m looking at spending $400 US on just these 2 components.

Thanks for your opinions.

I think possibly, you’d get more replies in the General Hardware Forum. :slight_smile:

Thread moved :slight_smile:

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I have the Power! :iagree: :clap: :bigsmile:
Having read this off topic post you can delete me too? :doh:

Hi :slight_smile:
Do you have a preference as what CPU?

I would choose a dualcore Athlon 4400+ socket 939

I’ve always been an AMD fan. Bang for the buck, I’ve been able to get more processing power, but that was when I was a gamer. It used to be that Intel’s were better at encoding so I was leaning towards them. Now it looks like the dual core AMD’s are bench marking better than the Intel’s.

As suggest by Brandon, AMD is the way I’m leaning at this point, unless I find some unbiased info that show me Intel is still the way to go in terms of how this machine is going to be used.

I believe that would blow my entire budget just on the chip! :eek:

I need to fit a mobo in that 400 bucks.

Get the dualcore 4200+ 939 it is £70 cheaper.

If you don’t want to go the dualcore route, the [B]AMD (San Diego) Athlon 64bit 4000+ 939pin 1mb L2cache[/B] is an extremely powerful CPU, and has come down a lot in price.
£190 UK pounds in some online stores.

Never ceases to amaze me. I live in Canada, but usually on forums I mention US funds for obvious reasons. Anyway, I’ve checked the exchange rate so I know that £1 is about 2 bucks Canadian and right now, 1 US Dollar is about $1.16 Canadian.

When I do the math, both in £’s or in USD, this chip should cost me $360- $380 Canadian. Good luck! I’m looking at $460! Yikes!

But when I compare the £ price to the USD price, they are almost identical.

Anyways, I’m trying to get the mobo and processor for about 450 USD, so I’m struggling. :doh:

whatever you get I would go amd all the way as it is still the best bang for the buck.
Here is a good starting point.
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/teacusb2HD/index2.htm
Its about the best bang for the buck right now and can easilly overclock quite a bit. You can get it and some of the really sweet motherboards for 300$ give or take. If you find after selecting a motherboard you care to throw a few more dollars into the cpu, fine, but you pay a lot of premium to go faster and you can overclock the 3000 to the speeds of some of the faster chips with out much effort. The higer speed 64’s are not suposed to overclock as well.
as far as motherboard, there really is no perfect choice. I think the nvidia nforce 4 based boards are the best but beyond that, there are several good choices. I personally really like the abit fatality boards, but I would listen to a few peoples recomendations and then see which board seems to best fit your needs. Any of the good socket 939 motherboards will take an athlon 64 as well as athlon fx, athlon x2 etc., so a future upgrade to a faster processor when prices have dropped is just a drop in upgrade.
It might give you a few $ toaward beter video or memory, or if you like go with a bit faster athlon 64, but you start to pay a high premium for a little speed.

I think, Pentium D 920 (2.8GHz, 2x2Mb) with Intel motherboard on i945 chipset will be the good choice in this situation. Such configuration will cost nearly $400 and you’ll get a computer with a powerful dual-core processor, DDR2 memory and the motherboard that will support future upgrades.

Nice combo for gaming.
//Danne

I kind of like DiiZzY choice, if you wanna go dual core and have to stay under that budget. Still, it seems a shame to pair that cpu with that motherboard…asus and abit have always been the best all around boards to me, good overclocking, well built, very stable etc. I kind of fell away from asus due to some of the memory compatibility problems with socket a motherboards and into the 754 and 939’s, but outside of that, I never questioned thier quality. It just seems a shame to go for a budget board, stripped of features (compared to an nforce 4 board), just to stay under budget.
There is no question that with dual core, you are making a major upgrade that defanatlly makes a diffrence over an athlon 64. I just think it would be a shame to pair a hot rod processor, with a budget board (even if it is a very good quality one). You could always upgrade the MB later though. If you wanna go dual core, a few more dollars will get you a beter motherboard, and I think it might just be worth it… check out asus and abit boards and consider a few more dollars on the mb. Considering the money you are spending, the little bit extra on the motherboard might get you a lot…

I’m currently eyeing up that processor. I’m looking at about 350 canadian for it though. Not too bad, It would only force me over budget a bit, since I know the way I am, I won’t spent less than 150 on the mobo. 450 US is about 525 Canadian.

Keepem coming and thanks.

First of all, nForce4 isn’t all that great… There are a number of rather nasty bugs and most users wont use all the extra features (such as hardware firewall (broken)), RAID (has its quirks) and Firewire so it may be perfectly fine. Performance-wise there wont be a difference, also keep in mind that many nForce4 solutions features active cooling and that’s one thing you dont want. I’d rather go for a ATi-chipset solution with ULi southbridge but that’s also over budget although its a much better choice than nCrap…
//Danne
//Danne

NCIX is like Canada’s NewEgg: lots of stuff and fairly cheap (and fast!) shipping.

C$190 Asus SLI Mobo: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15495&vpn=A8N-SLI%20PREMIUM&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1051

A64 3700+ $C250 CPU:

For C$440, you get an SLI mobo with decent onboard audio and you should be able to easily overclock the 3700+ to at least 2.7Ghz on stock cooling, which will smoke anything from Intel. You then buy the two SLI video cards separately and see how it goes. It should be able to play just about any game with decent framerates. However, if it doesn’t, you put the 3700+ on eBay and get one of the dual-core CPUs, although in all honesty until games come out that actually take advantage of dual cores, you won’t see much improvement. And because of hard disc thrashing, you don’t want to be running anything anyways else while gaming. Video encoding might benefit from X2 (dual core), especially if you want to use your computer for something else while its doing it.

Also, you should know that a new generation of CPUs/mobos is just about ready to ship (last week in May for AMD). The AMD AM2 CPUs will have an on-die memory controller that supports DDR2, and Intel’s Conroe isn’t that far off either, and it looks like it might just take back the performance crown from AMD. Early sneak previews show that AM2 won’t improve on existing AMD performance all that much.

If you don’t want to go SLI (that can easily run you C$1200 in video cards alone!), you might want to look at this mobo as it can overclock that 3700+ CPU all the way up to the chip’s limits (which will be entirely dependent on the luck of the draw; some weeks AMD makes CPU batches that can OC insanely, other batches barely above the stock speed):

DFI C$140 mobo: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13825&vpn=LP-UT-NF4-ULTRA-D&manufacture=DFI&promoid=1051

NCIX pricematches; if you find it cheaper elsewhere, they’ll match it.

Don’t forget you’ll also need decent dual-channel RAM and a pretty hefty ATX 12V v2.0 power supply. Getting a pre-matched pair of 1GB sticks (ie. from OCZ) saves you trouble down the line. These two items alone will easily add C$300 to the price, and you’ll still need a video card(s).

You see no advantages with dual core? You better read up on that.
As for integreated sound your suggested SLI mainboard has pretty much the same features as my noticable cheaper solution. …if he wants to overclock (which really is all about gambling) he should go for the Opteron line rather than the Athlon line.
//Danne

I should of mentioned that I’m stripping my ATI 9800pro out of my old machine. So the new board has to have an AGP slot. :doh:

A lot of people seem to like the ASRock Dual mobo that has AGP and PCI-e.

I’ve read mixed opinions on Anandtech about dual cores and games; I guess it depends on how many concurrent processes that the game’s exe spawns and one’s own perceptions. On computers, I tend not to notice performance increases that are under 33-50%, so getting 48 frames per second instead of 41 doesn’t mean much to me; YMMV. Mind you, I also say if you want to play games like Halo, buy an XBOX! :bigsmile: