Building a new system

vbimport

Greetings,
I’m getting ready to build a new system and I would like to know if I purchase the AMD Athlon 64 3000 and Corsair DDR PC3200, will I run a 800 FSB? I’m definatly going after the ASUS K8N NVIDIA nForce3 chipset. Also, is there any Pentium4 CPU out there that is a 64 bit CPU? I heard there was but that CPU won’t fully support a 64 bit operating system (Windows Longhorn) or 64 bit gaming. This is what I’m looking at to build my new system:

ASUS “K8N” NVIDIA nForce3 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-512&depa=1

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-486&depa=1

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM

I’d rather go for another board such as the Foxconn 755A01-6EKRS since it’s cheaper and offers better features (Gbit-LAN, 2 additional S-ATA connectors).

I think you also should take a look at S939 which offers the new Winchester core (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-501&depa=0) although the mainboards are a bit more expensive but it’s your call. Xbitlabs have done a review where they line up the differencies and a few benchmaks as well.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-90nm.html
There is no Penitum 4 CPU that supports 64-bit AFAIK, the closest you get is Itanium which is way out of your league.
Your current combo should/will work fine.
//Danne

Thanks for your speedy response. I prefer the nForce3 chipset mobo over the
SiS 755 + SiS 964 chipset. Instead of going with the Asus K8N NVIDIA nForce3 mobo, I think I’m better off going with the ASUS K8N-E Deluxe NVIDIA nForce3 for a few dollars more. Would you happen to know if the AMD Athlon 64 3.0 (or beow) will run a 800 FSB using DDR PC3200?
ASUS “K8N-E Deluxe” NVIDIA nForce3 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL

I don’t think that athlon64 has the capability of 800 fsb

my bad
It does have the capability with ddr 400

Would you happen to know what AMD Athlon 64 CPU runs the 800 FSB? In other words, do all AMD Athlon 64 CPU runs the 800 FSB using DDR PC3200?(AMD Athlon 64 2.8& up)

The memory should run at 400FSB just fine, not 800. I think when you think 800, you’re thinking of the Pentium 4’s quad-pumped architecture; on the Athlon 64 setup you’re running at 200MHz FSB, so your memory is running at 400MHz DDR.

I agree with Dizzy that that wouldn’t be my first mainboard choice, not because it’s a bad board, but because it’s limiting. I’d be more likely to choose a Socket 939 board for longevity, and something that has 4 SATA ports since it is becoming the norm for hard disks and you’ll want an upgrade path. You’ll also get a slight additional boost from the dual channel memory setup of a Socket 939 layout. That probably won’t amount to a whole lot now, but m ay in the future as software tends to become more bandwidth hungry over time. Gigabit ethernet is nice to have as long as it uses a dedicated PHY rather than being linked off the PCI bus; for this reason I’d look at a board that specifically has the NForce3 250gb or NForce3 Ultra chipset, not just the straight NForce3. This way you’ll also get the onboard firewall feature of the mainboard. Unfortunately it will raise the cost of your system.

If you’re on a budget, I’d consider Abit’s AV8 mainboard, which uses the VIA KT800 Pro chipset and costs a bit less than Socket 939 NForce3 solutions, while still providing almost all the features. It costs more than the ASUS you mentioned, but I think it’s worth it.

P.S. After a bit of a search, I found a Gigabyte NForce3 Ultra mainboard with even better features for a couple bucks less than the Abit; it’s been rated as a good board. It also has 800MB Firewire ports, a real bonus.

I’ve read that Gigabyte mobo’s are great motherboards, maybe not soo much for overclocking but I don’t intend to overclock anyways. I noticed your CPU specs and your running a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with DDR PC3200 and your not running a 800 FSB? I guess what I don’t understand is when I see a AMD Athlon 64 CPU at Newegg, I see that the FSB is integrated into chip, which confuses me. :confused: So what do you think about the mobo?
GIGABYTE “GA-K8NSNXP-939” nForce3 Ultra Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

I’d rather go for another board K8T800 Pro (or a board based on SiS755FX) than Abit AV8 because it has it issues and you can find better ones such as MSI K8T NEO2-FIR (imo). It’s true that VIA/SiS’s chipset lacks a dedicated bus for Gbit Ethernet but on they other hand they stick with stock devices/chips etc while nVidia goes rather custom. A regular PCI Gbit NIC can handle more than 400mbit which is more than enough, if you’re looking for server performance you’re barking up the wrong tree anyways. Oh well, that’s just mine opinion.
//Danne

I currently have a MSI mobo with good cooling and have had 2 in the past. All my MSI mobo’s tend to run a bit warmer than should be. A friend of mine has 2 Asus mobo’s and he’s running about 10 degrees (farhenheit) than I am with the same identical case and same cooling. Our room temp is about the same. I prefer to stick with the NForce3 250gb or NForce3 Ultra chipset and will go socket 939 board. For the money, I’m impressed with that GIGABYTE “GA-K8NS Ultra-939” NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL=105.00 USA buckaroos at Newegg. I don’t run a server. I’m still confused on the FSB issue, meaning those AMD Athlon 64=FSB integrated into chip, and is it possible to get a 800 FSB without overclocking?

My setup is brand new. 800MHz Frontside bus does not exist on the Athlon 64. Here’s how it works as explained by www.pcvsconsole.com:

[b]What is the meaning of “quad pumped bus” of a PIV ? It is possible to send data and have the answer in a lower time than current frequencies ? I see that normally people is upgrading the data-path to a wider one, instead of increasing the frecuency.
Answer
A quad pumped bus is a bus where four signals can travel per clock cycle. This is sometimes called QDR (Quad Date Rate).

A double pumped bus is a bus where two signals can travel per clock cycle. This is sometimes called DDR (Double Data Rate).

The Pentium 4 series of processors uses a quad pumped FSB (Front Side Bus). Meaning, the 400MHz FSB is a 100MHz bus with four signals per cycle (100 x 4 = 400). Likewise, the 533MHz FSB is a 133MHz bus. [/b]http://www.pcvsconsole.com/hank/answer.php?file=499

What this means is, an 800MHzFSB is a 200MHz bus (like the Athlon 64’s bus) with four signals per cycle equalling an “800MHz quad-pumped bus”.

Athlon 64 systems do not work the same way. In my system, I have an Athlon 64 3000+, which has a bus of 200MHz. Since the memory is DDR, I have an effective DDR memory speed of 400MHz. The words “front side bus integrated onto chip” are because the Athlon 64 has a built-in memory controller. The memory controller used to be a function handled by your motherboard’s chipset. The Athlon 64 eliminates this, which allows for better performance, and (in theory at least) makes motherboard production less expensive.

The Gigabyte board you provided a link to is super-expensive. Its only real advantage is it has an augmented cooling system. I think this is unnecessary, and that it will also increase system noise without providing a whole lot for the extra cost. If you have that kind of budget, look at the MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum, which retails for $40 less and offers similar features. My past several boards have been MSI (I’ve used AOpen, Asus, Abit, and MSI in my primary system over time) and I’ve been really pleased with them.

I took a snapshot of the ASUS “K8N-E Deluxe” NVIDIA nForce3 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL and the board supports a FSB of 800 MHz. What speed DDR Ram and AMD Atlon 64 would I need to purchase to achieve the 800 FSB?

just get the ddr2 PC5400 they are clocked at 667 and 675Mhz

@ nymac11
No, that’s a bad idea since they wont work at all.

@ Shoebedobedoo
Just get the pair of sticks you linked to in the first post and you’ll be fine.
//Danne

I went to my local computer store and they have a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ using DDR PC3200. I ask if he would install SiSoft Sandra 2005 and he did. We looked at the FSB and it is 800. Thanks for all the help, and a big thank you for that link on that GigaByte mobo at Newegg. :slight_smile:

Oh, you’re confusing HyperTransport (HT) with the FSB/memory speed.
//Danne

Then why does that link I posted from newegg on that Asus mobo show 800 FSB?
ASUS “K8N-E Deluxe” NVIDIA nForce3 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL

The ad from Newegg is misleading, though not deliberately so.

That 800MHz FSB listed, as Diz said, is likely the Hypertransport bus, which really (to put it very simply) the I/O bus for the mainboard. I searched for a layman’s description; the best I found was at Van’s Hardware, link below:
http://www.vanshardware.com/news/2002/07/020722_Nils_What_Is_Hypertransport/020722_Nils_What_Is_Hypertransport.htm

Socket 754 platforms generally use an 800MHz Hypertransport bus; Socket 939 systems use a 1GHz Hypertransport bus. This is not the actual frontside bus of the processor per se. I noticed when browsing Newegg’s site that some mainboard descriptions said FSB: 800(HyperTransport). The Athlon 64’s CPU FSB speed however is 200MHz, and DDR RAM on this platform has an effective speed of 400MHz as it can transmit on the rising and falling edges of the clock.

Some Asus mobo’s for the AMD Athlon 64 CPU say:
FSB: Hyper Transport
FSB: Scalable HyperTransport
FSB: HyperTransport 800/600MHz
FSB: 800 MHz
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=22&manufactory=1315&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

It’s hard to imagine a Intel P4 will run a 800 FSB but a any AMD CPU can’t? (not overclocking).
The ABIT “KV8 Pro” K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon64 CPU -RETAIL also shows a FSB 800.

According to the AMD Athlon 64 Bit product data sheet, a AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 754) uses hypertransport technology to I/O devices using one 16 bit link supporting speeds up to 800 MGz/1600 MT/s or 3.2 gigabytes in each direction. The AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 939) uses hypertransport technology to I/O devices using one 16 bit link supporting speeds up to 1 GHz/2,000 MT/s
or 4 gigabytes in each direction. So the 800 MGz= FSB (AMD Athlon 64/Socket 754), right?
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24659.PDF