Building a new computer advice

I need to upgrade my P3 1.33 Ghz to something faster. I have a brand new HD,DVD-ROM and DVD-Burner, so I don’t really want to buy a prepackaged computer. I guess I just need a basic case with PCU, motherboard, etc. I’ll pick up the RAM myself.

Two Questions:

Does anyone have any advice to give me regarding shopping for a base computer? I’ve seen several places on Ebay that seem to sell these, also I’ve heard of people getting their parts from Newegg.

I’ve heard the term “overclocking” thrown around a lot but I don’t know what it means?

I mainly use my computer for DVD burning and encoding with programs like CCE and DVD Shrink.

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7antg02y-slk3000b-atx-mid-tower-without-power-supply-black-antec-cases-shopping.htm

The Asus A8V-E Deluxe with Athlon 64 3000 939 pin would perform well. One can overclock the CPU to 3400 speed with good RAM. Expect to pay about $300.

I’m not a big fan of P4s. Too pricey. And the CPU runs HOT.

+1. That’s the exact setup I’ve got–no complaints.

And for the record, overclocking refers to manually setting your CPU to a speed higher than that stated by the manufacturer. Also can be done to RAM, video cards etc. That’s the general idea, though.

I think for a general purpose computer, the AMD’s overclocked are the way to go. However, if you are going to do mostly DVD stuff, I would go with the Intel CPU’s. They seem to process large data streams faster. They can be overclocked as well. For DVD transcoding save yourself some money and don’t bother with the giant on chip memory cache - you won’t use it and the chips will run cooler.

With DVD Shrink, you won’t notice much of a difference between “equal” AMD and Intel CPUs. When using CCE, the difference will be somewhat bigger; Intel is a bit stronger here. It’s not a huge diference (about 15% at max). As the “equal” AMD CPU is a bit cheaper than the Intel one, the difference is getting even smaller.

Although the AMD CPU is somewhat slower when it comes to CCE, I’d still go for the AMD CPU, for 2 main reasons:

1. The socket 939 platform will be be in the run for quite some time; you can eventually plug a dual core CPU on your current motherboard!
  2. 64 bit support will soon be added to Windows XP and CCE. Then, the AMD CPU will have an advantage over the Intel CPU. There are no CCE benchmarks yet, but on Linux, a benchmark between the 32bit and 64bit version of LAME (MP3 encoder) has already shown a max. theoretical difference of 51%. In practice you will never achieve such a big difference, but it’ll remain interesting though.

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

It doesn’t really matter all that much between INTEL or AMD. Biggest things are at least 1gb of memory, and two harddrives on separate IDE’s to ensure good encoding, capturing, and burning. Those are more important than the processor.

If you want stability and don’t need the PCI-E protocol, then go with the cheaper Asus A8V Deluxe (2.0) with the same 3000 90nm AMD CPU. Expect to paid about $250 for this combo.

I’m not too keen with 1st generation PCI-E stuffs.

If you want stability and don’t need the PCI-E protocol, then go with the cheaper Asus A8V Deluxe (2.0) with the same 3000 90nm AMD CPU.
OK, if I have no intention of doing any PC Gaming, any reason why I’d need the PCI-E protocol? Isn’t that for improved gaming?

I second the views above. Also you need to decide if you want the newer bus for your Video card and if you want the new formfactor of the latest motherboards. It also requires a newer style case as the ATX form won’t work.

I would also get your memory to allow upgrade to 2 gb when you need it.

Here’s a link for BTX info.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1876

I think we’ll be using ATX for some more time. As for now, there are only few BTX mainboards. Even Intel uses ATX for most applications.

Some cases can hold both ATX and BTX components. It may be an idea to invest in such a case :slight_smile:

I totally agree. I was just presenting the option. If I was building from scratch today I would want to look at the differences and see if it was worth it. With the small number of BTX choices it is easy to miss.

I would wait 2 weeks for the new Athlon revision E chips to hit the market. They launch in 2 days.

If you’re not gaming, get a motherboard with an integrated ATI graphics chipset (just make sure it has either AGP/PCI-E expansion slot)
If you already have your own graphics you wanna add, then you can go with furballi’s suggestion on the motherboard.

And to those who don’t know…Intel has their own desktop 64bit CPU’s as well. :wink:

The argument for PCI-E is getting stronger, in any machine you consider may be worth fitting a graphics card upgrade to in, say, a year or two’s time. By then, it’s possible that the PCI-E slice of the cake will be bigger.

At the moment, it really makes little difference - if PCI-E 16x is theoretically faster than AGP 8x, we aren’t stressing AGP 8x fully yet. If you see Nvidia SLI as the future, instead of a stopgap before more powerful cards, then maybe PCI-E SLI capability is a feature you should have.

For the non-gamer and light gamer though, the Radeon Express 200 chipset looks a potent solution, with onboard graphics that are finally worthwhile.

I’ll just add one more vote for the AMD 3000+ on the ASUS A8V. I also have that setup at home (Not over clocked, I’m too cheap and nervouse about burning somthing up and having to replace.) and it out preforms my P4 3.0 at work hands down.

Both have 1GB ram and NEC 2500A’s. With Decrypter, Shrink, and Nero I can do a DVD9 to DVD5 code in just over an hour with a deep scan on Shrink. Not sure if thats fast or not but seams good to be condsiderign it took me 3hrs on my old P3 rig.

The primary goal behind BTX is better cooling. The ATX PC should run cool n quiet with a well-designed case (Antec SLK3000B w two 120 mm low rpm fans), high efficiency powersupply (Seasonic), and the Zalman 7000Cu CPU cooler. The AMD 3000 winchester with 90nm technology does not put out a lot of heat.