Building a Blu ray from an MKV

vbimport

Hi Kerry56

Can you provide a step by step instruction on how to import an MKV file to convert to a BD50 blu-ray? I have a 38gb MKV file that needs to be converted to blu-ray format. I am new to BD Builder so excuse me for not being bright on this. This is what I have done so far: I first setup a working folder, then I imported the MKV File and the program started. The source path box is blank and the log shows it is collecting audio/video streams from the source but the current progress is at 0 percent and the overall progress is showing all bars at 100%. I started the program over 1 hour ago and can see the hard drive light flashing meaning something is going on but have no idea how long it will take to see my end result. Is there something missing here?

TIA
MAC

Start again, but first run your MKV thru MKVMerge (MKVToolNix)
Sounds like there be something a little off with your file

[QUOTE=gonca;2784219]Start again, but first run your MKV thru MKVMerge (MKVToolNix)
Sounds like there be something a little off with your file[/QUOTE]
Gonca…The original files were from a Blu-ray and I used MKVToolNix to put into an MKV container so I can add a subtitle. Trying now to use BD Rebuilder to convert the MKV back to Blu-ray format so I can burn it to disc. When I just play the MKV file, the newly added subtitle shows up and everything works well. Was adding the .srt subtitle in MKVToolNix correct? Not sure why it is not working with BD Rebuilder to convert.

srt subtitles are not part of the BD spec, they are good on alternate output (video files)
Convert the srt to a different format, pgs based such as sub or sup, and remux

note
use DVD or BD style subs

[QUOTE=gonca;2784221]srt subtitles are not part of the BD spec, they are good on alternate output (video files)
Convert the srt to a different format, pgs based such as sub or sup, and remux

note
use DVD or BD style subs[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gonca… I will convert the srt to the format suggested. To remux, do I have to use tsmuxer to remux or can I just merge the bluray files and the subtitle file in MKVTOOLNIX and then put into Bd Rebuilder to convert back to bluray format? I would like to keep the menu’s intact.

You might want to use TsMuxer
However there is no guarantee what you are trying to do will work, adding a subtitle to a full BD
You might have to trade an existing subtitle for the one you want

[QUOTE=gonca;2784223]You might want to use TsMuxer
However there is no guarantee what you are trying to do will work, adding a subtitle to a full BD
You might have to trade an existing subtitle for the one you want[/QUOTE]

So are you saying I convert the srt file to a subtitle blu-ray format then replace one of the existing subtitles within the contents of the BDMV File structure and burn it?

Yep—but no guarantees on whether it will work or not
You might want to get Kerry56’s opinion

Well I know the timing of the subtitle works with the video so that’s is not a problem. Just need to find out how to insert the sub in the right folder and make sure it is pointed to the correct m2ts file. BTW … The imported MKV file being processed in the BD Rebuilder has grown in size within the Working folder. Its been cooking for 2.5 hours and so far it has grown to 400mb. Not sure what will come out but at this rate the 38gb file should take 10 days to process it… I don’t think I will wait that long.

You won’t be able to keep the original Blu-ray menu intact and access the new subtitles within it unless you can edit the structure. Just replacing an existing one will not work.

This means using BDEdit, which is beyond my skill set.

[QUOTE=maczones;2784227]Well I know the timing of the subtitle works with the video so that’s is not a problem. Just need to find out how to insert the sub in the right folder and make sure it is pointed to the correct m2ts file. BTW … The imported MKV file being processed in the BD Rebuilder has grown in size within the Working folder. Its been cooking for 2.5 hours and so far it has grown to 400mb. Not sure what will come out but at this rate the 38gb file should take 10 days to process it… I don’t think I will wait that long.[/QUOTE]

Well, if I am understanding you correctly you simply ripped a Blu-ray to MKV and then added an srt subtitle. Sounds pretty basic to me. I add audio tracks and srt subtitle files to Blu-rays all the time and it’s pretty easy. Usually why I do that is that I am adding a commentary track or in many cases I have to find an English subtitle track for a Japanese movie, or something like that.

Just take your MKV file that already has the srt subtitle in it (it sounds like you said that the MKV file plays just fine and the subtitle works, right?) just drop it in TSMuxer and choose ‘Blu-ray folder’ for output. Apparently you want to burn it to a BD50, right…? So, you don’t need BDRB to compress it or anything. After TSMuxer creates the Blu-ray folder (BDMV folder and CERTIFICATE folder) just use Imageburn (IMGburn a free and [B][I]THE [/I][/B]very best program for this) and burn the folders onto a BD50 and that really should be it…

***EDIT

Now, my OPPO Blu-ray player does play Blu-rays with srt subtitles just fine. I do not know if your player does… Perhaps that is why the other 2 here have mentioned doing different things…

@Lathe
Yours is a movie only solution, and it should work fine
The OP wants the full disc structure including menus

Where I’m confused is the fact he is starting with an MKV file. If so, where is the original movie Blu-ray structure, with the original menu and how does it figure into all this?

Starting with an MKV and adding a subtitle stream isn’t difficult with tsMuxeR, as Lathe pointed out.

Starting with a complete Blu-ray and adding a subtitle is complicated, and requires reworking the internal structure so that the controls work properly. Fritzi, over at videohelp, pointed out to me how to do this with BD Edit, but even he had copied the command from somewhere else. I don’t know anyone on the net who is a real expert with that program.

Hi again… First off thanks to everyone including Lathe for the help on this and for Kerry56 setting up a dedicated thread on this. First off Lathe you are correct in how I created the MKV from the original BLU-Ray files and adding the srt file. I know of the TsMuxeR and how to use it but I am trying to preserve the menu’s and it looks like this is a monumental task to do that. I also have an OPPO player and if I wanted, I could just burn the MKV file on a BLU-Ray disc and watch it on the OPPO with the subtitle added but alas I am more inclined to meet the challenge to keep the menus etc. Now I know why S Jobs called BLU-Ray “A Bag of Hurt”. BTW Gonca… I left the MKV file cookin’ overnight with BD Rebuilder and the processing to convert the MKV to a BLU-Ray compliant file structure took a dramatic turn of events. It took 4 hours to just convert only 500mb out of a 38gb file. This morning the conversion was up to 31gb. Not sure what happened but I was at 87% complete and hopefully this afternoon I will know what the outcome will be.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2784254]Where I’m confused is the fact he is starting with an MKV file. If so, where is the original movie Blu-ray structure, with the original menu and how does it figure into all this?

Starting with an MKV and adding a subtitle stream isn’t difficult with tsMuxeR, as Lathe pointed out.

Starting with a complete Blu-ray and adding a subtitle is complicated, and requires reworking the internal structure so that the controls work properly. Fritzi, over at videohelp, pointed out to me how to do this with BD Edit, but even he had copied the command from somewhere else. I don’t know anyone on the net who is a real expert with that program.[/QUOTE]

Kerry56… Here’s another question: I still have the original BMDV file that contains the menus etc. I guess what you are implying is if I import the BMDV file into MKVToolNix to make it into an MKV file, I will then lose the menus? And if I reconvert the MKV file back to a Blu-Ray structure the menu’s of course will not be there?.. So I guess the answer to my question is I will need to use Blu-Ray authoring software to add the subtitle within the BMDV file structure and then burn.

^Yes, but then you lose the original menu and substitute a new one from your authoring program.

It is possible to revise the original menu, but BD Edit is one of the most fiendishly complicated free programs I’ve seen, and the few times I tried it, I bounced off. I very much recommend building a new one.

Kerry56 is right. To accomplish what you want you have to use BD Edit
Your best bet for info on this is probably at Doom9

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=150511

This a link to Doom9 where they discuss what you want to do

Ok thanks for the advice and will follow through but here’s my update on the outcome of the MKV project using BD Rebuilder to convert the MKV file to blu-ray with the .srt subtitles. First off, the original blu-ray files that were converted to an MKV container was 38gb. When the MKV was made and the srt subtitle file was added, it was still 38gb in size. After BD Rebuilder converted the MKV back to a blu-ray formatted file structure, the file size shrunk to 31gb as you would expect. When I played the blu-ray main movie file, everything looked good except the subtititle intemittently appeared in full or just the top half of the words would appear. Not sure why this is happening but at least the subtitles are present in one shape or form. Of course this is not acceptable as is, but at least it proved one thing, that importing an srt file when converting blu-ray file structure to an MKV container and then reconverting back to the blu-ray file structure with the added subtitles, is not the right way to go.

Hmmm… remember the OPPO has a function where when you hold the subtitle remote button down it allows you to raise or lower the subtitles. It SOUNDS like they are too low, thus the ‘intermittent’ or ‘top half showing’ nature, perhaps…

Also, am I making this too simple, or can you just simply allow BDRB to extract the files into the working folder, stop BDRB at that point, just drop in the srt file and then allow BDRB to continue on it’s way…?

Surely it can’t be just that easy, can it…?

BTW, yes, I only had in mind the ‘Movie Only’ option and I was not thinking about the menus. You know, if you want SOME kind of menu then, to me it seems like it would be far simpler just to ‘Import’ the files using BDRB and let IT create a simple menu for you. Perhaps another option…