Buffer-Underrun Protection Question

vbimport

Power-Burn

Power-Burn is the technology designed to prevent errors in writing data onto a CD-R/RW disk in a CD-R/RW drive by automatically setting up the optimum recording conditions for the media while automatically adjusting to the delay in data transmission from a host PC. Even if data writing onto a CD-R/RW disk is interrupted due to delays in data transmission from the host PC (buffer under-run), Power-Burn technology instantly controls and accurately connects the interruption and resumption points of the data recording to give continuous writing indispensable for CD-R/RW playback compatibility.

In addition Power-Burn automatically optimizes recording conditions for the CD-R/RW drive such as the writing speed and the strength of recording laser light,analyzing the disk quality by reading pre-recorded information like the recommended recording speed and the conditions of a recordable side of the disk. In general, the acceleration of writing speed of CD-R/RW drives increases the possibility of delay in the data transmission from the host PC, which causes buffer under-run. Because CRX175A stops its data transmission when buffer under-run occurs and resumes writing only after a sufficient amount of data has been transmitted from the host PC, it avoids writing errors.

Well, above saids that it will optimize the SPEED and laser when burning, well, will that affect the custom speed I choose? For example, if I choose 24x at CloneCD, and the writer optimized it, doesn't that mean that I can't write 24x or choose custom speeds? :frowning:

Is the first two paragraphies copied from somewhere or something? Lol. Anywayz, here’s what it is.

“Power-burn” is just a mixture of features present on almost every other modern CD-RW drives. It mainly does two things, one is if data stops coming to your drive while you are writing and there are no more reserved data in the drive’s buffer then it will use an underbufferrun protection technology to stop the drive from writing and once the internal buffers are full again and it will start from where it left off, saving you from a potential CDR-turned-coaster. Even this rarely happens with any close-to-modern pcs, except when you do on-the-fly copy with drives on the same IDE cable.

It seems your main concern is with the second half of the technology. I’ll try to use my Plextor as an example, which names this half “PowerRec II.” Basically it has stored within the drive info on a collection of different types/brands of CD-Rs, and optimal write speed for each, which will be updated with new firmware. Even if its an unknown CD-R, it will do a small test before writing, and with it being a Z-CLV writer, it will do another test before deciding to bring the speed from 16x to 20x, then again from 20x to 24x. With some of my cheapest CD-R medias, I sometimes get only a max speed of 20x. It’s annoying, but that’s basically what it does. Because you can’t just be focused on speed, you have to look as quality, a burnt CD-R filled with bad sectors (which can be determined by Nero’s CD Speed program) is no good.

Just choose the max speed you want, like a low speed for audio CDs and etc, and don’t try to burn lots of CDs at 32x with 8x CDs unless you scanned a few burnt ones for quality.

Hope this helps,
DFourthHorseman