Buffer underrun for Lite-on 40125s

vbimport

OK, I’ve done the search and don’t find anything here specific to my problem (or that I understood). I have a Lite-on 40125s in the computer I purchased last October. I’d successfully recorded CDs on previous computers without problems.

I just started trying to record .wav files that I’d converted from .mid files entered on a synthesizer. Once I got the conversion correct. I couldn’t get anything to burn with the default Windows XP burner, so I downloaded Roxio Easy CD Burner 6.0, thinking at least it would have a better interface. Now I’m getting a Buffer underrun error whenever I try to write anything, music or data. The disk ejects before the write is complete and an the error message pops up.

Can someone help, or should I just take it to a shop? Should it be this difficult?

Honestly, I’m a programmer for a living, but this hardware stuff is beyond me!

is dma enabled? check by going to the device manager>ide ATA/Atapi controllers right click on primary ide channel>properties>advanced settings tab and it should say next to transfer settings “dma if available” if not change it so it does and do the same for the secondary ide channel then reboot.

Make sure Dma is on,
And if you keep getting probs, try turning off the Imapi service if you are running Winxp.

Nope, none of that worked. The second setting for the secondary ide channel was PIO only, so I changed that. No effect. Disabled Imapi per instructions elsewhere on this site, and it still doesn’t work. I’ll just haul it back to the shop that built it next week sometime. It’s just a hassle.

try completely uninstalling the channel that the drive is on and rebooting. it’ll reinstall the channel when windows loads and dma should be enabled.

I would get rid of that Roxio crap:Z and invest in a copy of nero burning rom. Its absolutly the best.

Nero

Originally posted by kwkard
[B]I would get rid of that Roxio crap:Z and invest in a copy of nero burning rom. Its absolutly the best.

Nero [/B]

Absolutely TRUE :wink: Get rid of anything to do with roxio then get rid of all the registry entries for roxio

Originally posted by slayerking

Absolutely TRUE :wink: Get rid of anything to do with roxio then get rid of all the registry entries for roxio

OK, if it didn’t work before downloading Roxio, why would getting rid of it and getting your favorite software suddenly fix the hardware?

I willl try AZimmortals suggestion later today when I have more time.

possibly because nero has better support for hardware. For example, you can specify how much ram you want to go to the ultra buffer, which will reduce the number of buffer underuns in the first place. And second, you shouldn’t be getting coasters when you do get a buffer underrun because your liteon has protection against this. It will pause until the comupter catches up. But this will only work if the software supports it.

Use nero with SMART-burn activated. If there is still buffer under runs then consider the drive faulty.