Buffer question

vbimport

Hi…quick question.

I know what the buffer is and what a buffer-underrun is. When I use Nero the buffer is always 99% or 100% so thats fine. But there is another bar below it that is titled “Recorder-B” and that goes way up and way down. What does this bar measure and is it ok if it goes way down?

Thanks!

It’s the buffer inside the recorder (the the other is a buffer in the RAM of the computer).
If that buffer gets empty, the recording process will stop (if your drive has that kind of protection).

A lot of burning programs don’t have a RAM buffer, so it’s usually in these cases that there are more risks. For some reason your RAM buffer can’t keep up the rythm of the writer. It’s strange: usually when there are problems, it’s the computer/reader/harddisk that can’t keep up with the RAM buffer and writer… normally the RAM buffer can feed the recorder buffer without problems…
If you have Feurio, compare the behaviour. The buffers in Feurio are more responsive visually.

Thanks for the reply…I have Feurio and tried that and there was no buffer problem with either buffer’s there.

Thanks!
Dave

The data to be recorded goes like this:

Source/HardDisk/CDROM -> RAM buffer in memory -> Buffer in writer -> Laser

The RAM buffer can be almost as big as you physical memory and was “invented” to avoid buffer underruns if the buffer in writer was too small for the speed.

Something might be performing slowly between RAM and writer, but that should happen also in Feurio!
Maybe what Nero is showing is not what it’s really happening with that buffer: every time that the recoder’s buffer gets empty, the writer will stop until more data is received. Does the writer really stop when that happens?
What’s your writer?

Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s possible to configure the Ultrabuffer en Nero, or disable showing the buffers (that consumes a little of time processing).

I forgot it.
The ultrabuffer in Nero doesn’t work as it should in Windows9x/ME.
See the last post in this thread:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=20&t=8105&st=25

Nero will occupy all physical RAM (instead of locking the amount configured), and that will cause overhead because of swapping.
I’d be surprised that this would only affect the writer’s buffer and not the RAM buffer, so I think that this is not the problem, but…

Use a memory and CPU monitor and try to see what happens when the buffer gets empty, and compare with Feurio’s behaviour.
Maybe that happens when Nero hogs all memory…