Buffer Level Fluctuations with NERO

vbimport

#1

Hi,

I’m using NERO 5.5.10.7. When I perform a CD to CD copy (on-the-fly fast copy) I experience fluctuations with the recorder buffer level. This only happens with a direct CD to CD copy, and I have no problems copying from the hard drive. After done burning, NERO usually gives a count for how many times buffer underrun was avoided. With my problem, the count is around 200. The actual burned copy works fine, but because the software is busy avoiding buffer underrun, it takes much longer to burn the CD. This problem is new, and I have not experienced this porblem before. After some troubleshooting, I DO NOT believe that it is a problem with RAM or any other system resources, especially since I have not made any changes to my machine. The only guess I have is that perhaps either the source drive, recorder drive, or both are getting old. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!


#2

do both drives have DMA enabled and functioning? do you have current IDE controller drivers?
Obviously your burner is not getting data delivered at an adequate rate, the cause could be that you are setting the burn speed too high for the source drive. Once the first buffer under-run occurs, you can get the see-saw of buffer that you see due to both drives being on the same IDE channel. Set the burn speed at 16x and work up from there.
In any case, this is a hardware issue, not software.


#3

Thanks! DMA is only enabled on the recorder and not the source (I think) I’ll try enabling DMA on both and see how that works. What I find weird is that I never had this problem before and everything with my computer is the same as when it worked fine. Both source and recorder drives are on the same IDE channel. I appreciate your help. Please feel free to move this to the Hardware section. :slight_smile:


#4

Tried it, but unfortunately it didn’t work. I also tried recording at lower speeds, but still no help. Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to be a little more patient when burning :slight_smile:

EDIT

I’m reading through some of the hardware threads and will hope to find a solution there.


#5

Remove the secondary IDe controller in device manager and reboot. This will force XP to re-detect the channel and drives. Maybe that’ll help. It’s certain that the drives have to be in DMA mode for this copying to work.


#6

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Remove the secondary IDe controller in device manager and reboot. This will force XP to re-detect the channel and drives. Maybe that’ll help. It’s certain that the drives have to be in DMA mode for this copying to work.

Yes! That worked like a charm! Thanks for the help rdgrimes!

:bow: :bow: :bow:


#7

You may see the channel revert to PIO on a semi-regular basis, it’s one of XP’s little charms. Don’t know if SP-1 helps this or not.